This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4634 / 55°27'48"N
Longitude: -4.6304 / 4°37'49"W
OS Eastings: 233795
OS Northings: 621986
OS Grid: NS337219
Mapcode National: GBR 39.XY5P
Mapcode Global: WH2PP.VY71
Entry Name: 75 High Street and 2 Newmarket Street
Listing Date: 10 January 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356984
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21603
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr West
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Allan Stevenson, 1886. 3-storey, 2-bay with corbelled corner bay, rectangular-plan crowstepped gabled baronial tenement with ground floor shop. Squared, snecked and stugged beige sandstone. Corbelling with crenellated links to crowstepped gables (straight skews to corbelled corner bay gable); water spouts.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: corbelled corner bay to outer left; single windows to all faces at 2nd floor, strapwork above; square-headed finials to gablehead. Modern shopfront at ground; entrance to left; glazed timber door; letterbox fanlight; shop windows to right. Single windows at 1st and 2nd floors to gabled bay to outer right; hoodmould to window at 1st floor, plaque beneath; brackets, cornice and strapwork to window at 2nd floor. Bipartite window at 1st floor of bay to left; strapwork above; square plaque aligned above at 2nd floor.
S (NEWMARKET STREET) ELEVATION: 2 gabled bays (bay to right asymmetrical) with corbelled corner bay to outer right (see above). Modern shopfront windows at ground floor. Bipartite window with pedimented windowhead to outer left at 1st floor; single hoodmoulded window aligned above at 2nd floor; square plaque to gablehead dated AD 1886. Corbelled canopy niche containing statute of William Wallace to right at 1st floor; small round-arched window to left; single hoodmoulded window aligned above at 2nd floor. 2-light canted oriel window to left of corbelled corner bay (see above) at 1st floor.
Plate glass timber sash and case windows to upper floors with exception of 4-pane window to corbelled corner bay at 2nd floor. Grey slate roof; gablehead stacks; circular cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
1810 statue of William Wallace by William Reid. The AYR, PRESTWICK AND DISTRICT HISTORICAL GUIDE notes, "Henry Cowan, Esq., owner of the house in 1810, put up this statue at his own expense." The building stands adjacent to the site of the Laigh Tolbooth, where Wallace is thought to have been imprisoned (Strawhorn and Andrew, p105).