This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4632 / 55°27'47"N
Longitude: -4.6304 / 4°37'49"W
OS Eastings: 233793
OS Northings: 621958
OS Grid: NS337219
Mapcode National: GBR 39.XY5R
Mapcode Global: WH2PP.VY67
Entry Name: 77-81 (Odd Nos) High Street and 1 Newmarket Street
Listing Date: 10 January 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356985
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21604
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr West
Traditional County: Ayrshire
1844; alterations by Baird and Thomson (Glasgow), 1894; additional later alterations. 3-storey, 7-bay rectangular-plan astylar classical bank with rounded corner-angles. Painted ashlar and painted render. Base course, corniced band course and balustraded parapet (with panels to 2nd and 6th bays of E elevation and central bay to N elevation) to E, N and S elevations; cornice. Architraved windows with cornices to 1st floor (painted margins only to W elevation).
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: double pilasters flank central entrance at ground; 2-leaf glazed timber door; square fanlight; sidelights; 2 single windows flanking to outer left and right. Regular fenestration to 1st and 2nd floors.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: 4-bay, irregularly aligned. Consoled, corniced, block-pedimented doorpiece to penultimate bay to left; 2-leaf timber door; narrow letterbox fanlight; 3 single windows aligned above. Single windows at ground and 1st floor to bay to outer left; bipartite window at 2nd floor. 2 single windows at ground; single windows at 1st and 2nd floors to penultimate bay to right. Tripartite window at ground (window to outer right, smaller and blind) to bay to outer right; 2 single windows at 1st and 2nd floors.
N (NEWMARKET STREET) ELEVATION: 3-bay. 3 single windows at ground floor; 2-leaf timber door with large square fanlight to outer right. Regular fenestration to 1st and 2nd floors (blind windows in bay to left).
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Pilasters divide bays at ground; advanced panel with ball finials to corniced band course. Regular fenestration to all floors, with exception of pedimented bipartite window at 1st floor; acroterion motifs.
Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows; some 6- and 4-pane glazing to upper sashes of W elevation. Grey slate piend roof; corniced wallhead stacks to outer left and right of W elevation; circular cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
Formerly known as the Winton Buildings, as marked on the Ordnance Survey map, 1858. Purchased by the Clydesdale Bank in 1856.