History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

23 John Street, St Margaret's Roman Catholic Church and Graveyard Including Boundary Wall

A Category B Listed Building in Ayr, South Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.4647 / 55°27'52"N

Longitude: -4.6261 / 4°37'34"W

OS Eastings: 234070

OS Northings: 622119

OS Grid: NS340221

Mapcode National: GBR 39.XZ92

Mapcode Global: WH2PP.XX72

Entry Name: 23 John Street, St Margaret's Roman Catholic Church and Graveyard Including Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 5 February 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 357033

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21647

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ayr

County: South Ayrshire

Town: Ayr

Electoral Ward: Ayr West

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Ayr

Description

James Dempster, dated 1826 (to rear); transepts and sanctuary added by D Sturrock, 1893. Painted ashlar entrance elevation; rubble to sides and rear. Base course.

SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central roll-moulded arched entrance; crocketted ogee hoodmould rising to stylised finial; head label-stops; 2-leaf timber door; small-paned fanlight; arched 3-light traceried window over; head label-stops to hoodmould. Octagonal flanking crenellated buttresses; pierced 2-light parapet linking over gable. 2-light arched aisle windows; head label-stops to hoodmoulds over. Diagonal angle buttresses flanking; rising to finialled crocketted pinnacles; crenellated raking links to central bay.

Stained and leaded windows. Slate roof; corniced stack to rear; polygonal can.

INTERIOR: timber pews, gallery (housing organ) and dado panelling; Christ on the Cross to sanctuary flanked by stained glass windows; Stations of the Cross to nave. Banded ceilings to side-chapels; timber altars and reredos; traceried roundel windows behind set within arch.

GRAVEYARD: to NE of church; predominantly headstone graves.

BOUNDARY WALL: coped boundary wall enclosing graveyard.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. James Dempster, as described by Colvin was listed as Greenock's only architect in Pigot's Directory of 1825-6. An impressive Decorated Gothic church, influenced by the work of J Gillespie Graham, notable for its distinctive crocketted finials and buttresses rising above the roofline. Modern church hall to right of site.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.