This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4531 / 55°27'11"N
Longitude: -4.6308 / 4°37'50"W
OS Eastings: 233725
OS Northings: 620844
OS Grid: NS337208
Mapcode National: GBR 39.YJBL
Mapcode Global: WH2PW.V60D
Entry Name: Midton Road, Ayr St Columba's Church (Church of Scotland) and Church Hall Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 10 January 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357049
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21662
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr West
Traditional County: Ayrshire
John B Wilson, 1898 (hall); church (1902). Perpendicular near rectangular-plan church on gusset site, with 4-stage and spire tower to SW elevation. Bull-faced red sandstone; ashlar dressings. Base course; dropped ground floor cill course; pilasters to gallery openings.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 13-bay, grouped 1-4-3-3-1-1. 4-stage tower to outer left; single trefoil-headed windows to all faces at 1st stage; blank 2nd stage; paired trefoil-headed panels with transoms at 3rd stage; paired trefoil-headed gabled belfry openings at 3rd stage, angle gargoyles at arch springing line; slated spirelet; finial. Steps to gabled, buttressed entrance porch in 4 bays to left; 2-leaf glazed timber door; leaded fanlight; decorative panel to moulded arch; hoodmould; niche to tympanum; 3 trefoil windows to advanced, gabled and buttressed transept bay to right of 4 bay section; 4 trefoil windows between, buttress at centre; 4 4-light clerestory windows with linked hoodmoulds above. 2 trefoil headed windows to left, timber door in arched entrance to right of 3-bay section to right; blind bay to clerestory above, raised to form trefoil-headed, transomed arcade with return. Buttressed gabled hall bay with stained glass traceried window to penultimate bay to right; 3 trefoil-headed slit openings to tympanum. Bipartite leaded attic dormer to bay to outer right.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 pairs of trefoil-headed windows to aisles, buttresses divide pairs; 4 4-light clerestory windows with linked hoodmoulds above; blind bay to clerestory to outer left; raised to form trefoil-headed, transomed arcade with return. Quadripartite window to gabled hall to outer left; square-headed recessed entrance; glazed timber doors; bipartite window to right; tripartite windows to all faces of canted bays to right; 2-light window links to aisled bays.
NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: single buttressed bay with recessed tower to outer right (see above). Arcade of tripartite trefoil-headed windows beneath hoodmoulded, traceried gallery window; niche to gable apex; cross finial.
SE ELEVATION: not seen 1999.
Leaded and stained glass windows (by CC Baillie and S Holmes and possibly Oscar Paterson). Slate roof. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: timber and carpeted floor; timber dado panelling and pews; timber elders' furniture and pulpit; timber framed organ; marble font; tiled entrance porch; corbelled timber bracing to tie-beamed timber ceiling.
BOUNDARY WALL: low coped bull-faced wall enclosing site.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Originally known as the Trinity Church, St Columba's was dedicated on 2nd October 1902 (the hall had been erected in 1898). The organ was inaugurated on 26th January 1904 and the manse purchased in 1921. In the church hangs a chime of eight tubular bells in they key of 'C' natural supplied by Messrs. Harrington, Latham & Co. of Coventry, first rung in September 1905. The architect John Bennie Wilson, partner of George Sydney Mitchell, also designed the earlier St Andrew's Church in Park Circus (see separate list description). Of particular note are the interior fittings, especially the stained glass and timber ceiling.
Other nearby listed buildings