This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4654 / 55°27'55"N
Longitude: -4.639 / 4°38'20"W
OS Eastings: 233262
OS Northings: 622233
OS Grid: NS332222
Mapcode National: GBR 39.XNH4
Mapcode Global: WH2PP.QW5H
Entry Name: 30 and 31 Montgomerie Terrace Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 5 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357088
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21684
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr West
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1856. 2-storey, 3-bay asymmetrical-plan villa. Coursed, squared sandstone. Base course; eaves course; cornice; blocking course; strip quoins. Margins to window openings; aprons to ground floor windows; bracketed cills to outer 1st floor windows
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central columnar corniced entrance porch; panelled timber door; letterbox fanlight; single elongated window aligned above at 1st floor. Regular fenestration to flanking bays.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: 3-bay regular fenestration (blind windows to left bay). Recessed single storey catslide-roofed section to outer left.
Predominantly modern glazing; some lying pane and timber sash and case windows remaining to side and rear elevations. Grey slate roof; coped wallhead stacks; circular cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: coped boundary wall enclosing site; square-plan gatepiers to vehicular entrances to outer left and right; additional pedestrian entrance to left of vehicular entrance to right.
A good example of mid 19th century, Georgian-inspired architecture at the W end of Montgomerie Terrace, at the Seabank Road intersection, overlooking the coast to the W elevation. Of particular note is the imposing columnar entrance porch and a surviving section of Citadel wall (see separate list description) to the rear of the property. The lands occupied by the Citadel site, were granted to the Earl of Eglinton as a Burgh of Regality in 1663, called Montgomerieston, hence, Montgomerie Terrace. The Earl had great plans for the community and initially the Royal Burgh was afraid of a loss in trade, but Montgomerieston failed to prosper, and was later absorbed into Ayr Burgh (Love, p9).
A rubble built, subterranean powder magazine, dating from the time of the Citadel (See seperate listing) of circa 1654 is situated within the garden to the South West of the house and lies obliquely to the house.
Other nearby listed buildings