This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4568 / 55°27'24"N
Longitude: -4.6303 / 4°37'49"W
OS Eastings: 233772
OS Northings: 621250
OS Grid: NS337212
Mapcode National: GBR 39.YBGR
Mapcode Global: WH2PW.V38L
Entry Name: 39 Park Circus, St Andrew's Church (Church of Scotland) and Church Hall Including Gatepiers and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 10 January 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357134
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21722
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr West
Traditional County: Ayrshire
John Bennie Wilson, 1893, William McClelland, 1897 (hall). 2-bay Perpendicular church with 6-stage tower with spire to left and polygonal turret to right. Bull-faced red sandstone to entrance elevation; snecked, squared sandstone to remaining elevations. Base course; cill course. Angle buttresses to tower; clasping buttresses to main W window bay.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gabletted 1st stage to square-plan tower to outer left; roll-moulded, arched entrance; colonnettes flanking; 2-leaf timber door; hoodmould over rises at centre to form scrolled gable apex; quatrefoil moulding to upper tympanum. Arrow slit window to 2nd stage. Trefoil-arched arcade to 3rd stage; alternate blind openings. Arrow slit opening to 4th stage. Blind trefoil arcade to 5th stage; central spout over; 2 louvred Y-traceried belfry openings at 6th stage; crenellated parapet above, flanked by pinnacles. Lucarnes at base of each elevation to spire; finial at apex. Steps to recessed arched secondary entrance to outer right; 2-leaf timber door; single trefoil window aligned above. Polygonal turret tower to outer right; single trefoil windows to 1st stage faces; blind slits to bipartite trefoil arches to each face at 2nd stage; finial to turret apex. 3 pairs of secondary-glazed traceried windows at ground; large hoodmoulded traceried W window to bay between; quatrefoil moulding to upper tympanum.
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: single windows at 1st and 2nd stages to tower to outer left (see above); 3 pairs of secondary-glazed trefoil-headed nave windows; quadripartite traceried gallery windows above to 2 bays to left; arched, hoodmoulded window to right. Catslide roof to church hall entrance to re-entrant angle; 2-leaf timber glazed door; tripartite traceried window to church hall; recessed walling to outer right.
NE ELEVATION: predominantly obscured by later additions
NW ELEVATION: not seen 1999.
Traceried and stained glass windows (some secondary glazing). Slate roof with terracotta ridge. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: carpeted and timber floor; round-arched red sandstone doorpieces flank altar; decorative timber pulpit and seating; traceried timberwork to ambulatory and reredos; central timber pulpit; organ behind. Painted platform roof; with carved timber bracing; timber stained glass doors with fanlights leading to staircase to galleries; timber semi-trefoil detailing to canted arched gallery bays, supported on stone pillars. Stained glass windows to nave. Timber floor and dado panelling to church hall.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: low gatepiers to outer right and left; gabled shaped copes; low boundary wall to entrance elevation; higher coped wall to remaining elevations.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. John Bennie Wilson is also the architect of the local Ayr St Columba's Church in Midton Road (see separate list description). Distinctive church in the residential Park Crescent with its 150' tower and spire.
Other nearby listed buildings