This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4502 / 55°27'0"N
Longitude: -4.6382 / 4°38'17"W
OS Eastings: 233244
OS Northings: 620534
OS Grid: NS332205
Mapcode National: GBR 39.YNND
Mapcode Global: WH2PW.Q8HN
Entry Name: 1 Racecourse View, Hartfield House Including Gatepiers and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 10 January 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357177
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21753
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr West
Traditional County: Ayrshire
1850. 2-storey, 4-bay classical mansion house, with lower 2-storey wing to rear. Painted ashlar. Deep base course; channelled and corniced ground floor; decorative scroll work to frieze; dentilled eaves course; corniced blocking course. Segmental-headed 1st floor architraved windows with corbelled cills.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: coupled square-column entrance porch; detailed capitals, entablature; low pedimented blocking course; central finial; timber door; letterbox fanlight; single window aligned above at 1st floor. Flanking windows at ground and 1st floor; ground floor tripartite windows; brackets to shallow pediments over; acroterian motifs. Canted window at ground floor to outer right; central acroterian motifs to pedimented blocking course over; Venetian window aligned above at 1st floor.
W (RACECOURSE ROAD) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Ramp to label-moulded entrance to outer left; 2-leaf glazed timber door; split letterbox fanlight; single label-moulded to right at ground floor; regular fenestration at 1st floor (stair from ground floor central bay leads to converted window to right at 1st floor; glazed timber door).
N ELEVATION: harled; modern lean-to at centre of round floor; leaded round-arched stair window centred above, window flanking to left at 1st floor; 2-sotrey addition advanced to outer left.
E ELEVATION: not seen 1999.
Rectilinear pattern sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roof with lead ridges. Corniced wallhead and ridge stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: 2 pairs of square-plan gatepiers with segmental headed caps to outer left and right; coped boundary wall enclosing site.
Marked as St Lawrence on Ordnance Survey map, 1858. An imposing mansion house, overlooking the former racecourse. Of interest, is the sophisticated classical detailing, including the decorative frieze, acroterion motifs and ground floor channelling.
Other nearby listed buildings