This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4501 / 55°27'0"N
Longitude: -4.6288 / 4°37'43"W
OS Eastings: 233840
OS Northings: 620502
OS Grid: NS338205
Mapcode National: GBR 39.YQST
Mapcode Global: WH2PW.V8ZQ
Entry Name: St Leonard's Road, St Leonard's Parish Church (Church of Scotland) and Hall Including Lamp Standards, Postbox and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 10 January 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357192
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21767
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr West
Traditional County: Ayrshire
John Murdoch, 1886; 1910 chancel and hall (dated) by P MacGregor Chalmers. Pointed Gothic church on gusset site with 3-stage tower. Snecked sandstone; ashlar dressings. Base course; cill course (to NW elevation); mutules to nave; angle buttresses to corner buttresses; plain buttresses divide nave and aisle fenestration.
NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-bay. Steps to arched roll-moulded entrance in gabled nave bay; 4-light traceried window above; 3 blind arrowslits to gablehead; cross finial at apex; octagonal pinnacle surmounts buttress to right. 3-stage tower to left comprises 2-light traceried window at 1st stage; smaller polygonal plan tower adjoins to right rising through 1st and 2nd stages, arrowslit openings to upper level; 2-light belfry openings in arched surrounds at 3rd stage; lucarne opening to spire; octagonal pinnacles flanking; finial at apex.
SW (MONUMENT ROAD) ELEVATION: 6-bay. 2-light lancet window to nave at ground to outer left; 4 2-light aisle windows (pinnacle to buttress to outer left); 4 3-light clerestory windows aligned above; 2-light window to re-entrant aisle angle to left. 3-light hoodmoulded transept window; roll-moulded window to gable; 3-light clerestory window to re-entrant angle to left.
NE (ST LEONARD'S ROAD) ELEVATION: 3-stage tower to right comprising 2-leaf timber door at 1st stage in arched roll-moulded and hoodmoulded entrance; traceried window at 2nd stage; 2-light belfry openings in arched surrounds at 3rd stage; lucarne opening to spire; octagonal pinnacles flanking; finial at apex. 3-light transept window; roll-moulded window to gable; 3-light clerestory window to re-entrant angle to right. 2-leaft timber door with window to left and above at 1st floor (later work). Leaded 3-light arched openings to church hall gable to re-entrant angle to right; 5 arched openings to hall.
SE ELEVATION: not seen 1999.
Leaded and stained glass windows. Slate roof; stone skews; terracotta ridge work.
INTERIOR: decorative capitals to columns supporting pointed arches; decorative ceiling corbels; timber wall posts; decorative work to tie beams; arched bracing; timber altar furnishings and pews.
LAMP STANDARDS, POSTBOX AND BOUNDARY WALL: iron lamp standards flank main entrance; wall-mounted postbox to Monument Road; coped boundary wall encloses site; 2-leaf iron gate to Monument Road.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Good example of Gothic church on a prominent gusset site. Of particular interest is the fine stained glass work within and the distinctive 3-stage tower.
Other nearby listed buildings