This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4638 / 55°27'49"N
Longitude: -4.6333 / 4°37'59"W
OS Eastings: 233612
OS Northings: 622034
OS Grid: NS336220
Mapcode National: GBR 39.XXCZ
Mapcode Global: WH2PP.SXVS
Entry Name: 22 Sandgate and 2 and 4 Cathcart Street
Listing Date: 10 January 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357215
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21788
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr West
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1600, with later alterations. 2- and 3-storey with attics, 2-bay, near rectangular-plan town house on corner site. Painted render. Square-headed openings.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: recessed central shop entrance; 2-leaf glazed timber door; flanking shop windows. Regular fenestration to upper floors; attic windows break eaves to form architraved dormers 'S 19 H' inscribed in left dormer, 'B 91 T' to right dormer.
NE (CATHCART STREET) ELEVATION: 10-bay, grouped 2-3-5. 2 openings at all floors of 3-storey and attic, 2-bay section to left (infilled, except at ground to right, and at attic to left). Entrance to outer right of 3-bay section (2-storey and attic); timber door; single window at ground to left; single windows to all floors of bay to outer left. 2 timber doors to 3rd and 4th bays at ground to 5-bay section to right; single window at ground to penultimate bay to left (small infilled openings to right and left of entrances); regular fenestration to bays at 1st floor (alternately infilled); 2 windows at attic break eaves to form dormers.
8-, 12- and 24-pane timber sash and case windows (many openings infilled). Grey slate roof; crowstepped gables; corniced gablehead stacks; circular cans.
INTERIOR: elaborate aumbry to 1st floor flat with shield motif within arch over.
Upgraded from Category B to A, 28.7.94. Known as Lady Cathcar''s house. Restoration by Simpson and Brown, began in 1991. Built as a town mansion or mercantile premises, with hall and chambers above (Sandgate section) and a detached hall and chamber block (Cathcart Street section) and subsequently joined, major alterations occurred in the earlier 19th century to form premises for the Ayr branch of the City of Glasgow bank. Rob Close writes (p9), "There is a persistent, but unproven, belief that John Loudon McAdam, 1756-1836, pioneer road engineer, was born in this house."