History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

58a Sandgate, Former Sandgate Church and Church Hall, Including Gatepiers, Gates, Railings and Boundary Wall

A Category B Listed Building in Ayr, South Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.4629 / 55°27'46"N

Longitude: -4.6343 / 4°38'3"W

OS Eastings: 233546

OS Northings: 621938

OS Grid: NS335219

Mapcode National: GBR 39.XX4K

Mapcode Global: WH2PP.SYCG

Entry Name: 58a Sandgate, Former Sandgate Church and Church Hall, Including Gatepiers, Gates, Railings and Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 10 January 1980

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 357218

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21794

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ayr

County: South Ayrshire

Town: Ayr

Electoral Ward: Ayr West

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Ayr

Description

William Gale, 1845; hall dated 1878. Rectangular-plan gabled aisled Norman church with clerestory. Polished ashlar. Base course; squared bracket cornice; angle buttresses; pyramid pinnacles.

SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: steps to central arched entrance; decorative capitals to shafts; arcaded decorative corbelling to arch; ball-flower hoodmould; decorative label-stops; 2-leaf timber door; leaded fanlight; tall 3-light arched window aligned above; single shaft order; chevron moulding to arch soffits; ball-flower hoodmould; decorative label-stops; corbelled blind arcading aligned above, linked to ground by thin flanking moulding; roundel to gablehead; cuspwork and stained glass within. Single architraved round-arched windows to recessed bays to outer left and right.

NW (FORT STREET) ELEVATION, CHURCH HALL: 3-bay. Advanced lean-to entrance porch; gabletted at centre. Steps to round-arched entrance; flanking shafts; fretwork to arch soffit; square label-stops to hoodmould; 2-leaf timber door; leaded fanlight; single round-arched architraved windows flanking. 3–light window aligned above to main hall; ball-flower hoodmould; double ball-flower label-stop; roundel to truncated gable dated 1878; single round-arched architraved windows flanking.

Leaded and stained glass windows. Grey slate roof.

INTERIOR: architectural features remaining include timber panelled pulpit, screen walls and gallery; ball-flower detailing to fluted columns and corbelled wall-posts.

GATEPIERS, GATES, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALL: iron gatepiers and 2-leaf central gate; gatepiers and single iron gates to outer left and right; iron railings surmount coped boundary wall enclosing site.

Statement of Interest

No longer in ecclesiastical use (formerly United Presbyterian). An early exponent of Norman Gothic Revival architecture, not dissimilar to David Cousin's St Thomas' Church in Rutland Place, Edinburgh (1842-3).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.