This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0478 / 57°2'52"N
Longitude: -3.0386 / 3°2'19"W
OS Eastings: 337083
OS Northings: 795675
OS Grid: NO370956
Mapcode National: GBR WF.B5C1
Mapcode Global: WH7NL.938W
Entry Name: Bridge Street, Bank of Scotland Inclduing Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 25 November 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357273
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21841
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
William Henderson 1870. 2-storey 5-bay symmetrical and classical bank building with central pilastered doorpiece. Stugged pink granite ashlar with grey granite dressings and raised chamfered quoins to street (east). Cill band to 1st floor. Blocking course.
Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows to ground, 4-pane to 1st storey. Grey slates, ashlar coped skews. Gable end stacks and wallhead stack to rear.
INTERIOR: ground floor comprehensively modernised. 1st floor predominantly original room plan with some simple cornicing.
BOUNDARY WALLS: low coursed granite wall to street with ashlar coping and late 20th century railing and taller gate pier. To left of gate, rubble boundary wall with rubble coping. Extends S side of building.
This is a distinctive building situated on the original grid street plan of Ballater and as such has good streetscape value. It was formerly the Union Bank of Scotland.
Ballater was originally a planned grid town, beginning in the early 19th century. As Ballater became more prosperous in the late 19th century, with the increase in tourist numbers, following the regular visits to Balmoral Castle by the Royal Family and the arrival of the railway to Ballater, more impressive architectural styles were used in the town. This building, situated on the main High Street, is a good example of the public demonstration of the prosperity in Ballater and contrasts with the earlier, simpler buildings in the street.
From 1857, Aberdeen architects William Henderson and Son were architects for the Union Bank in the North East. The banks they built were nearly all of a simple standard Georgian type, of which this is a typical example.
Other nearby listed buildings