History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Line Road, Sluievannachie Inclduing Cheese Press and Boundary Wall

A Category B Listed Building in Ballater, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.0501 / 57°3'0"N

Longitude: -3.0536 / 3°3'12"W

OS Eastings: 336179

OS Northings: 795943

OS Grid: NO361959

Mapcode National: GBR WF.9VFG

Mapcode Global: WH7NL.2254

Entry Name: Old Line Road, Sluievannachie Inclduing Cheese Press and Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 15 July 1988

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 357287

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21852

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ballater

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Ballater

Description

Peter Mitchell (builder), 1836-38. Single storey and attic farmhouse with lower rear wing, with later lower extension. Harled with granite margins, predominately to attic floor. Gabled dormers breaking wallhead. Tall diamond stacks. Greek cross detail to E gable apex.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: symmetrical 3-bay S elevation. Central gabled porch with skew putts and shield, dated 1836. Central 4-panelled timber door with Gothic fanlight with intersecting tracery. Flanking bays, window to ground floor and gabled dormer above.

Predominantly 4-pane timber casement windows. Graded grey slates. Granite ashlar skews with moulded skew putts. Gable end stacks with paired diamond flues to W and E elevation. Triple flues to N gable.

INTERIOR: original floor plan largely extant. Some raised and folded panelled shutters. Predominantly 6-panel timber doors. Whitewashed basement with rubble walls and beaten earth floor.

CHEESE PRESS: to W elevation. Pink granite with grey granite weight.

Statement of Interest

One of the earliest buildings in Ballater. The farm has fine detailing an is especially noted for its distinctive stacks and gothic entrance. Unusually for buildings of this type, it has casement windows. Modern housing has encroached on the setting at the N and W. Historic maps show extensive farm buildings. The basement is thought to have been the milk house

The farm was built by and for Peter Mitchell and still remains in the Mitchell family. Family tradition suggests that the name Sluivannachie means 'blessed moor' and refers to the moor to the South of the house as the place where the St Nathalan (who founded one of the first churches in the area in the 7th century), was told by God to sow sand in a time of famine. This then turned into a fine crop.

Previous list description suggests that the farm was harled in 1943, perhaps by the Invercauld Estate.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.