This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.0501 / 57°3'0"N
Longitude: -3.0406 / 3°2'26"W
OS Eastings: 336966
OS Northings: 795933
OS Grid: NO369959
Mapcode National: GBR WF.9YRR
Mapcode Global: WH7NL.82B3
Entry Name: Station Square, Former Ballater Railway Station Including Platform
Listing Date: 17 June 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357289
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21854
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1866; remodelled 1886. Single storey, weatherboarded timber former railway station with distinctive pierced bargeboards, porte cochere and Royal waiting room. Recently restored to form Tourist Office, museum and restaurant. (2005) Cream with red detailing. Situated to N edge of town. Overhanging eaves to S and N, forming canopy over platform at N.
Variety of 8 and 3 over 6-pane timber sash and case windows. Gable and piended roofs to S. Granite ridge stacks with octagonal cans.
INTERIOR: Tourist Office largely modernised but some original elements to station intact, including original outstanding Royal waiting room. Plaster strapwork ceiling, Adam style swagged cornice. Timber panelled in 2 colours, reeded Ionic timber pilasters separate panels. Timber chimneypiece with intact overmantle mirror and tiled cheeks. Some panelled timber doors with painted glass to upper panels in adjacent Royal toilet and some floral decorative glass. Porcelain floral decorated toilet bowl with timber seat. Classical style marble chimneypiece in restaurant.
PLATFORM: modern concrete paving and edging. Integral weighing machine by H Pooley and Son Ltd of Liverpool.
This is a particularly good example of a timber railway station with its Royal connection giving rise to some outstanding internal and external detailing. The swan-necked iron lamps, the porte-cochere and outstanding decoration in the Royal waiting room set the station apart.
The railway's arrival in Ballater in 1866 played a crucial part in the growth of Ballater as, encouraged by the regular visits made by Queen Victoria and her family to nearby Balmoral, increasing numbers of people were able to travel to the area. The town quickly developed into an important tourist destination, with the population rising from 362 in 1861, to 1,256 in 1901.
Leased by the Great North of Scotland Railway, the line was initially to have continued to Braemar, but objections from the Royal family meant that Ballater station became the end of the line. It therefore functioned as the alighting place for the Royal Family and their guests on the way to Balmoral. It was temporarily painted black and gold for the arrival of Tsar Nicholas II in 1896. The railway line was closed in 1966.
Other nearby listed buildings