This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6659 / 57°39'57"N
Longitude: -2.524 / 2°31'26"W
OS Eastings: 368836
OS Northings: 864118
OS Grid: NJ688641
Mapcode National: GBR N84G.DFG
Mapcode Global: WH8LW.6LC4
Entry Name: Castle Street, Trinity and Alvah Church, Church of Scotland
Listing Date: 22 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357376
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21935
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banff and District
Traditional County: Banffshire
James Raeburn, Edinburgh, 1844, alterations and additions, A & W Reid, Elgin,1876-7 and 1936. Shallow cruciform; E entrance front with distyle in antis Greek Ionic pedimented portico surmounted by octagonal domed drum louvred belfry rising from stepped plinth. Harled with generous use of polished ashlar dressings and margins. 2-storey, 5-bay frontage (upper windows light gallery). 3 tall round-headed doorways with double-leaf doors below round-headed lights in set-back centre
bays. Blind clock aperture in centre of pediment tympanum. Deep ashlar wallhead bandcourse and cornice. Shallow advanced wings, N and S 1876) with 3 segmental-headed windows in ground and gallery floors. Plate glass and 4-pane glazing with long centre transoms mainly filled with simple coloured geometric glazing (1876).
Single wooden pedimented dormer N and S (1876 or later). Slate roofs; facetted leaded roof to belfry. Single storey vestry additions at rear.
INTERIOR: galleried interior with complex timber roof structure, refurbished in l876. 5-sided panelled fronted gallery supported by slender painted cast-iron columns. Organ fills shallow W transept fronted by pulpit. Doorway flanks pulpit each side (to vestry) with moulded door jambs and simple corniced overdoor (1844). Ribbed pine dado and plain pine pews, the seats and backs mostly of single length of timber.
Building in ecclesiastical use as such. Former Free Church of Scotland. The architect, James Raeburn, originated from Boyndie, Banffshire. His design was one of a series prepared for the Free Church in 1843 for use when required but unusually grand for an early Free Church.
The cruciform projections were originally designed with 2 windows and piended roofs, enlarged and re-fenestrated in the l876 alterations.
Other nearby listed buildings