This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6627 / 57°39'45"N
Longitude: -2.5243 / 2°31'27"W
OS Eastings: 368814
OS Northings: 863761
OS Grid: NJ688637
Mapcode National: GBR N84G.L9G
Mapcode Global: WH8LW.6N6L
Entry Name: Institution Terrace, Banff Primary School (Former Banff Academy) with Lamp Standards
Listing Date: 22 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357484
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22035
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banff and District
Traditional County: Banffshire
William Robertson, Elgin, 1837-8. Neo Greek, long single storey 15-bay classical frontage. Sandstone ashlar main E facing elevation and return gables; harled rear. Advanced Ionic hexastyle portico with coffered ceiling: centre door below shallow pediment; moulded jambs to doorway and single flanking windows. Slightly advanced wide end pavilion bays, each with centre window and coupled clasping pilasters with composite capitals, the outer pilasters return as angle pilasters matched by similar flanking single bay return gables. 6-pane glazing
(replacing former horizontal glazing) in centre 4 windows; renewed horizontal glazing elsewhere. Deep corniced blocking course masks shallow piended slate roof.
Portico approached by wide, shallow flight of steps flanked at top by mirrored single pedestal lamp standards; squat, square polished ashlar margined plinths with shallow pyramidal caps.
REAR EXTENSION: A Marshall Mackenzie, Aberdeen, 1898, repaired after fire 1921. Substantial 2-storey, harled block with tooled ashlar margins to all windows. Piended slate roof.
INTERIOR: 1837-8 coffered ceiling to centre hall, now gym. Studded curved hand rail to staircase serving lst floor of rear block; elsewhere interior modernised.
There was a Grammar School in Banff before 1544, the Banff Academy established in 1786 at 9 Old Market Place. The 1837-8 building, also known as 'Wilson's Academy' was financed by money left by James Wilson, 'late of Banff, in the island of Grenada, a charitable fund for the good of Banff...expended on the school'. The 154' frontage faces east on a rise above the outskirts of the town, overlooking the Deveron
River and Duff House gardens, through which runs the re-aligned A98 road. The building is now used as Banff Primary School.
The central hall, or 'great vestibule', was originally a 'Museum of
Natural History, Antiquities, and Curiosities, which would do no discredit to Aberdeen or Edinburgh'.