This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.665 / 57°39'53"N
Longitude: -2.523 / 2°31'22"W
OS Eastings: 368893
OS Northings: 864020
OS Grid: NJ688640
Mapcode National: GBR N84G.DW0
Mapcode Global: WH8LW.6LTT
Entry Name: 2 Old Castlegate and Rear Garden Wall
Listing Date: 22 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357528
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22068
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banff and District
Traditional County: Banffshire
Mid 18th century with later alterations and additions. Substantial
3-storey, wide 3-bay house fronting street with later rear wings
forming U-plan. Harled, painted ashlar margins, chamfered in early, main part of house.
Centre recessed depressed-arch entrance with side lights and double-leaf panelled door. Flanking, almost square, ground floor
windows: wide tripartites in outer 1st floor bays, of which wide
side lights probably added in early 19th century; regular fenestration in 2nd floor windows. Multi-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows.
Projecting 3-storey, 3-bay wing at rear, probably added circa 1800, facing gable with paired ground, 1st and attic windows. 20th century 2-storey wing also projects at rear forming U-plan court; access to 1st floor by external brick stair. Coped end margined stacks (missing at NW gable apex); slate roofs.
INTERIOR: much altered and rooms divided. Low central entrance hall. 1st floor dining room with simple plaster corniced and segmental-headed buffet alcove; reeded detailing to inner face of pilastered window dividers.
Drawing room in 1st floor of circa 1800 wing with later beaded panelling to window shutters and door. Plain moulded and painted wooden chimneypiece; simple plaster ceiling frieze. Staircase sited in circa 1800 wing against rear wall of older part of house; wide staircase with turned balusters rising full height of building.
Some 18th century raised and fielded 6-panel doors survive.
Remainder of interior much altered and sub-divided.
GARDEN WALLS: rear garden enclosed by brick walls, in part renewed with concrete blocks.
Wide and elegant staircase, probably re-sited from centre of house when rear wing was added. Unusual square landing spaces suggest that staircase might originally have risen through centre of original rectangular, 3-storey, 3-bay house. This, together with widening of 1st floor front windows and the addition of rear wing, suggest major alterations and additions to house circa 1800-1820.
Other nearby listed buildings