History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

New Kilpatrick Parish Church, Bearsden

A Category A Listed Building in Bearsden, East Dunbartonshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9215 / 55°55'17"N

Longitude: -4.3328 / 4°19'58"W

OS Eastings: 254320

OS Northings: 672280

OS Grid: NS543722

Mapcode National: GBR 0W.ZYC9

Mapcode Global: WH3NV.DFZC

Entry Name: New Kilpatrick Parish Church, Bearsden

Listing Date: 14 May 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 357595

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22130

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Bearsden

County: East Dunbartonshire

Electoral Ward: Bearsden North

Traditional County: Dunbartonshire

Find accommodation in
Hillfoot

Description

Built 1807, and thrice enlarged in following 20 years. Large crowstepped structure, roughly cruciform on plan, interior galleries on 3 sides. Churchyard contains interesting monuments including mausoleum of Campbells of Succoth.

INTERIOR: includes wealth of stained glass; Stephen Adam and Alf Webster, Henderson Memorial window, circa 1912; Daniel Cottier (with McCulloch and Gow) Good Samaritan Window, 1884; J T and C E Stewart, Crossing the Bar window; 2 windows, Robert Anning Bell (Guthrie and Wells); Norman MacLeod MacDougall, lancet window; 3 windows by Douglas Strachan; more modern windows by Gordon Webster and Eildith Keith.

Statement of Interest

New Kilpatrick Cemetery is situated to the east of church and churchyard described here, at some distance, and contains fragments of the Antonine Wall. The stained glass windows are of exceptional importance, covering over a century of Scottish design in this field, and account for the Cat A listing. They are seen by experts to be comparable to those at St John's Kirk, Perth, and Trinity Parish Church, St Andrews. The collection maps the development of the Stephen Adam/Alf Webster partnership. It includes the earliest known ecclesiastical window by McCulloch & Gow for Daniel Cottier, significant work by J T and C E Stewart, and work by Robert Anning Bell, Norman MacLeod MacDougall, Gordon Webster, Eildith Keith and Douglas Strachan. The 3-light window by C E Stewart of Tennyson's Crossing the Bar is a later re-use of a destroyed design by J T Stewart at Leslie Church Pollokshields, circa 1904, and is executed in Stewart's particular hydrofloric acid technique.

Upgraded B to A July 2001.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.