This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5859 / 56°35'9"N
Longitude: -3.3364 / 3°20'10"W
OS Eastings: 318018
OS Northings: 744576
OS Grid: NO180445
Mapcode National: GBR V8.V2VV
Mapcode Global: WH6PF.QQGJ
Entry Name: Coupar Angus Road, Altamount House Hotel Including Gatepiers, Boundary Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 9 June 1981
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357879
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22333
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Blairgowrie and Rattray
County: Perth and Kinross
Town: Blairgowrie And Rattray
Electoral Ward: Blairgowrie and Glens
Traditional County: Perthshire
Before 1807; Scots baronial SW wing added 1866 and extended late 20th century. 2-storey and attic, 5-bay (bays grouped 2-3) double bow-fronted mansion house. Snecked rubble, some stugged, with ashlar margins and rusticated quoins. Base, part band and eaves courses. Corbel; stone mullions.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3 original, symmetrical, bays to right with centre corniced and block-pedimented porch, panelled timber door and plate glass fanlight, and single window to 1st floor; full-height bowed flanking bays, each with single window to ground and wide-centre bipartite to 1st floor giving way to conical roof. Bays to left of centre with wide-centre tripartite at ground giving way to band course and single window above with raised margin, moulded corbels flanking windowhead and breaking eaves into stepped and finialled stone-pediment with shield detail; small bipartite window to outer left angle with single light to corbelled turret with decorative cast-iron finial above. Single storey pitch-roofed bay with bipartite window set-back to outer left with low flat-roofed extension beyond.
NE ELEVATION: bowed bay to right of centre with large wide-centre tripartite to each floor and single window to left at each floor with small slate-hung dormer window above.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: original piend-roofed bays to left with stair window over 2 small lights at centre, window to each floor at left, asymmetrical fenestration to 1st floor right over lower service wing (see Notes) and 2 regularly-disposed timber-pedimented dormer windows flanking small modern rooflight. Slightly lower and projecting bays of SW wing to right.
SW ELEVATION: later wing projecting at ground with variety of elements to set-back face including finialled gabled bay to right with bipartite window, piend-roofed bay to centre and further gable to left.
4-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar and brick stacks; stepped ashlar-coped skews; cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: fine decorative scheme in place including decorative plasterwork, architraved panelled doors, panelled shutters and brass sash lifts. Stair hall with timber-balustered dog-leg staircase with ball-finialled newel posts. 1st floor bow windows with anthemion-capitalled fluted pilasters. Some fine classical timber fire surrounds.
GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: square-section, coped ashlar gatepiers; low saddleback-coped quadrant boundary walls with inset decorative ironwork railings.
The single storey service wing and courtyard to the NW are listed separately, as are the Walled Garden and Altamount Lodge. Known for some time as 'Alva', but appearing as 'Altamont' (sic) in 1858 when it was owned by the heirs of Sir George Ballingall and occupied by John L Campbell Esq of Achalader. Macdonald notes that Altamount House belonged to Dr George Ballingall.
Other nearby listed buildings