History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

139 Aberdour Road, Colinswell House with Gatepiers, Gates, Boundary Walls and Railings

A Category B Listed Building in Burntisland, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0622 / 56°3'43"N

Longitude: -3.2514 / 3°15'5"W

OS Eastings: 322174

OS Northings: 686189

OS Grid: NT221861

Mapcode National: GBR 26.Q1GL

Mapcode Global: WH6S0.0WZJ

Entry Name: 139 Aberdour Road, Colinswell House with Gatepiers, Gates, Boundary Walls and Railings

Listing Date: 24 November 1972

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 358369

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22751

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Burntisland

County: Fife

Town: Burntisland

Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Burntisland

Description

Earlier 19th century. 2-storey with basement, 3-bay classical house. Stugged ashlar with long and short work quoins, base course, band course, 1st floor cill course, eaves course, cornice and parapet, architraved windows corniced at ground. Cast-iron brattishing.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: panelled door at centre in pilastered and corniced doorcase with 12-pane fanlight accessed via flagstone path over basement, windows in flanking bays, regular fenestration at 1st floor. Decorative brattishing to cornice and platform.

S ELEVATION: 3-storey (basement visible on falling ground) 4-bay; bipartite timber door to outer left at ground with 3 windows (barred) to right; 1st floor, cast-iron steps with platform lead to glazed door to left of centre, 2 windows to right and 1 to left; regular fenestration at 2nd floor.

E ELEVATION: 3-bay; timber door to right of centre with smaller door to outer right at basement, regular fenestration at ground and 1st floors.

W ELEVATION: centre window converted to door and obscured by timber link to modern timber building (built as dance hall), blind window to right and window to left; 1st floor with centre stair window and windows in flanking bays.

12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows, 15-pane glazing pattern in stair window. Grey slates to piend and platform roof and coped ashlar, hipped wallhead stacks with cans; filigree cast-iron balustrade to N and S; decorative cast-iron rainwater hoppers and downpipes.

INTERIOR: decorative cornicing and plaster ceiling designs to main rooms at ground and 1st floor, dog-leg stair with decorative cast-iron railings wooden handrail.

GATEPIERS, GATES, BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: pyramid-coped ashlar gatepiers and extensive coped rubble and ashlar boundary walls. Decorative cast-iron railings and gates.

Statement of Interest

Colinswell was one of a number of properties belonging to John Young of the Grange Distillery in 1836. It was converted to a recreation club by British Aluminium in 1957, no longer in use as such at the time of survey with only caretakers in residence. (Prospects bleak).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.