History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

9, 11, 12 and 15-23 (Odd Nos) Craigkennochie Terrace with Boundary Walls, Railings, Gate and Lamp Stanchion

A Category B Listed Building in Burntisland, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0627 / 56°3'45"N

Longitude: -3.2276 / 3°13'39"W

OS Eastings: 323659

OS Northings: 686223

OS Grid: NT236862

Mapcode National: GBR 27.Q0TC

Mapcode Global: WH6S0.DW83

Entry Name: 9, 11, 12 and 15-23 (Odd Nos) Craigkennochie Terrace with Boundary Walls, Railings, Gate and Lamp Stanchion

Listing Date: 3 August 1977

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 358381

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22758

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Burntisland

County: Fife

Town: Burntisland

Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Burntisland

Description

Early 19th century with late 19th century extensions and minor 20th century alterations. 2-storey with attic and basement, 9-bay block of dwellings. Cast-iron balconnettes. Channelled ashlar with voussoirs, polished and dressed ashlar elsewhere, squared and snecked rubble to sides and rear, long and short quoins, band course and part string course, eaves cornice and blocking course; architraved windows and doorcases, stone mullions.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Nos 15 and 17 in original 3-bay block at centre. Doorcase with 3 engaged Doric columns below part glazed tympanum with urn at centre and 'Craigkennochie' incised in band course above. Stone path with centre and side cast-iron railings to slightly recessed centre bay and double doorway with columned doorpieces, panelled doors below unifying plate glass segmental fanlight with central urn; windows in flanking bays over basement windows in round-arched panels. 1st floor with window at centre over fielded panel and windows in flanking bays with decorative cast-iron balconies. 2 19th century piended timber dormers over outer bays.

Nos 9, 11 and 12, slightly advanced: timber door with plate glass fanlight at centre, window in bay to right and canted window in advanced bay to left; regular fenestration at 1st floor with finialled gable above to left.

Nos 19, 21 and 23, slightly advanced: door at centre altered to 2 doors with plate glass fanlights, canted window in advanced bay to right and window to left, regular fenestration at 1st floor, finialled gable above to right.

N ELEVATION: irregular fenestration pattern with flat-roofed, corbelled timber oriel to outer right bay at 1st floor.

Mainly 4-, 12- and 15-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows, modern top opening plate glass glazing to Nos 19 and 21. Grey slates. Broad coped ashlar stacks with polygonal and moulded cans, coped ashlar skews and cushion finials.

INTERIOR: decorative plasterwork cornicing and working shutters at No 11, others not seen.

BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, GATE AND LAMP STANCHION: low saddleback coped rubble boundary walls, decorative cast-iron railing, gate and gas lamp stanchion.

Statement of Interest

The original building (Nos 15 and 17) was built for William Dick (1793-1866), founder of the Dick Veterinary College, Edinburgh, and passed in 1869 to his daughter Mary.

Reinstatement of traditional glazing at Nos 19 and 21 is desirable for such an important building on this prominent site.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.