This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0628 / 56°3'46"N
Longitude: -3.2274 / 3°13'38"W
OS Eastings: 323670
OS Northings: 686229
OS Grid: NT236862
Mapcode National: GBR 27.Q0VG
Mapcode Global: WH6S0.DWC2
Entry Name: 9, 11, 12 and 15-23 (Odd Nos) Craigkennochie Terrace with Boundary Walls, Railings, Gate and Lamp Stanchion
Listing Date: 3 August 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 358383
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22758
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy
Traditional County: Fife
Early 19th century with late 19th century extensions and minor 20th century alterations. 2-storey with attic and basement, 9-bay block of dwellings. Cast-iron balconnettes. Channelled ashlar with voussoirs, polished and dressed ashlar elsewhere, squared and snecked rubble to sides and rear, long and short quoins, band course and part string course, eaves cornice and blocking course; architraved windows and doorcases, stone mullions.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Nos 15 and 17 in original 3-bay block at centre. Doorcase with 3 engaged Doric columns below part glazed tympanum with urn at centre and 'Craigkennochie' incised in band course above. Stone path with centre and side cast-iron railings to slightly recessed centre bay and double doorway with columned doorpieces, panelled doors below unifying plate glass segmental fanlight with central urn; windows in flanking bays over basement windows in round-arched panels. 1st floor with window at centre over fielded panel and windows in flanking bays with decorative cast-iron balconies. 2 19th century piended timber dormers over outer bays.
Nos 9, 11 and 12, slightly advanced: timber door with plate glass fanlight at centre, window in bay to right and canted window in advanced bay to left; regular fenestration at 1st floor with finialled gable above to left.
Nos 19, 21 and 23, slightly advanced: door at centre altered to 2 doors with plate glass fanlights, canted window in advanced bay to right and window to left, regular fenestration at 1st floor, finialled gable above to right.
N ELEVATION: irregular fenestration pattern with flat-roofed, corbelled timber oriel to outer right bay at 1st floor.
Mainly 4-, 12- and 15-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows, modern top opening plate glass glazing to Nos 19 and 21. Grey slates. Broad coped ashlar stacks with polygonal and moulded cans, coped ashlar skews and cushion finials.
INTERIOR: decorative plasterwork cornicing and working shutters at No 11, others not seen.
BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, GATE AND LAMP STANCHION: low saddleback coped rubble boundary walls, decorative cast-iron railing, gate and gas lamp stanchion.
The original building (Nos 15 and 17) was built for William Dick (1793-1866), founder of the Dick Veterinary College, Edinburgh, and passed in 1869 to his daughter Mary.
Reinstatement of traditional glazing at Nos 19 and 21 is desirable for such an important building on this prominent site.
Other nearby listed buildings