This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0619 / 56°3'42"N
Longitude: -3.2289 / 3°13'43"W
OS Eastings: 323579
OS Northings: 686131
OS Grid: NT235861
Mapcode National: GBR 27.Q0JX
Mapcode Global: WH6S0.CWPR
Entry Name: 34 Cromwell Road, Cromwell House with Conservatory, Outbuildings Boundary Walls Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 31 March 1995
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 358403
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22771
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy
Traditional County: Fife
Earlier 19th century with later alterations. 2-storey with attic, 3-bay house. Narrow coursed stugged ashlar and squared and snecked rubble, harled extension. Base course, 1st floor cill course and moulded eaves cornice; corniced ground floor openings with raised margins, architraved doorcase, quoin strips and stone mullions.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. 3 steps up to deep-set panelled door with plate glass fanlight and architraved surround at centre, tripartite windows in flanking bays, left window with false lights;
3 windows at 1st floor and canted, piend-roofed dormer windows over right and left bays.
NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: advanced flat-roofed extension at centre with 2 small windows at ground and window above to right, timber door on return to right; window to right and left bay at both floors of original building, reduced window at 1st floor centre; 19th century rooflight at centre with flanking piended slate-hung dormer windows.
NW ELEVATION: false window at 1st floor centre with single pane opening.
12-pane, 4-pane and plate glass glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows, fixed plate glass window to extension. Graded grey slates. Coped ashlar gablehead stacks with some polygonal cans, ashlar coped skews and thackstanes.
INTERIOR: dog-leg stair with decorative cast-iron balusters and timber handrail. Decorative plasterwork cornicing and ceiling rose to ground floor, timber fireplace, dado rail and shutters.
CONSERVATORY: rectangular-plan timber conservatory with stone base, horizontal air vents and full-length raised ridge at roof apex with ball and spike finials.
OUTBUILDINGS, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: single storey painted rubble outbuildings, partly converted to garages. Extensive coped rubble boundary walls with timber pedestrian gate in corniced and pilastered entrance to NW and further timber gate to SE; pyramid-coped ashlar gatepiers with modern cast-iron gates.
During recent internal repairs a newspaper of 1875 was found behind an attic wall leading to the assumption that the dormers windows were added at this time.
Cromwell House was the home of John Connel, Managing Director of the Lochgelly Iron & Coal Company and Provost of Burntisland, he was influential in the 1901 extension to Burntisland Harbour. In 1863 he was Vice-Consul for Denmark at Burntisland, and later for Norway and Sweden.
Other nearby listed buildings