History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

30-33 (Inclusive Nos) Somerville Square

A Category B Listed Building in Burntisland, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.0585 / 56°3'30"N

Longitude: -3.2337 / 3°14'1"W

OS Eastings: 323268

OS Northings: 685760

OS Grid: NT232857

Mapcode National: GBR 26.QCGT

Mapcode Global: WH6S0.9ZCB

Entry Name: 30-33 (Inclusive Nos) Somerville Square

Listing Date: 24 November 1972

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 358566

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22880

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Burntisland

County: Fife

Town: Burntisland

Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in


17th century with later alterations, notably at rear. 3-storey tenement with dominant stack to street, in irregular terrace to W. Harled with painted margins.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: widely spaced bays, much blank wallplane; panelled timber door below commemorative plaque in advanced chimney breast rising as substantial shouldered stack at wallhead: panelled timber doors to right and to left (latter altered from window opening), regular fenestration in bay above that to left, and off-line above that to right (2nd floor opening enlarged); small 2nd floor window (later addition) in jettied wallplane to left of stack and windows in outer right bay at 1st and 2nd floor.

S ELEVATION: flight of stairs lead to part-glazed door (modern alteration) with adjacent light to left at 1st

floor, 5 windows to right at ground, 6 windows to right at 1st and 2nd floors, further window to left at 2nd floor.

E ELEVATION: windows to outer right at 2nd floor.

12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows throughout. Grey slates. Ashlar coped skews, crowsteps and thackstanes, coped ashlar stacks with cans.

Statement of Interest

Somerville Square and Street were renamed after Mary Somerville (1780-1872), daughter of Vice Admiral Sir William Fairfax. Mary, who lived here as a child, was a self-taught mathematician, astrologer and author; Somerville College, Oxford is named in her honour. The commemorative plaque mentioned above records these details.

During restoration in 1958 a painted ceiling was discovered and removed to National Library.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.