History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Somerville Square, Masonic Lodge, Dunearn 400

A Category B Listed Building in Burntisland, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0585 / 56°3'30"N

Longitude: -3.2342 / 3°14'3"W

OS Eastings: 323238

OS Northings: 685754

OS Grid: NT232857

Mapcode National: GBR 26.QCCK

Mapcode Global: WH6S0.9Z4D

Entry Name: Somerville Square, Masonic Lodge, Dunearn 400

Listing Date: 24 November 1972

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 358567

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22881

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Burntisland

County: Fife

Town: Burntisland

Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Burntisland

Description

Late 16th century with extensive 19th century alterations and conversion to Masonic Lodge 1914 - 16. 2-storey house in irregular terrace. Harled with stone cills, painted margins and base course. Corniced doorcase with stop-roll-moulded arrises.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: deep-set timber panelled 2-leaf door with plate glass fanlight to left of centre, window to left and inset panel to right, small window and low door to outer right; window to right between floors, narrow window to left at 1st floor.

S ELEVATION: projecting gabled bay to left with proud modern full-height stack at centre flanked by blinded windows at 1st floor, door to outer right with blind window to 1st floor in flat-roofed extension. All windows blinded.

8-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Ashlar coped skews, crowsteps and beak skewputts; coped ashlar stacks with some cans.

Statement of Interest

In 1596 William Boswell occupied this building, with the Robertsons's of Newbigging in ownership by 1679. George Robertson sold in 1754, and it finally passed to the officials of Lodge Dunearn in 1914 (Lodge Dunearn 400 was consecrated 1859 at a hall in Kirkgate).

The 17th century inset panel (defaced) is inscribed "Blisst be God for all His vageis".

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.