This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.064 / 56°3'50"N
Longitude: -3.2225 / 3°13'21"W
OS Eastings: 323977
OS Northings: 686358
OS Grid: NT239863
Mapcode National: GBR 27.PVB0
Mapcode Global: WH6S0.GVP4
Entry Name: 123 Kinghorn Road, Burntisland Bowling Club
Listing Date: 31 March 1995
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 358568
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22882
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1892. 3-bay, single storey, bowling clubhouse with jerkin-head gables and overhanging bargeboarded eaves. Red brick with polychromatic brick dressings. Base course, painted stone cills and mullions.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: step to half-piended, slated, gabled verandah with rusticated timber supports and part-glazed returns. Decorative timber panel infill with date, piended at apex; part-glazed timber door at centre. Bipartite windows in flanking bays and blind outer flanking walls; flag pole to left.
E ELEVATION: round-headed bipartite window to left of centre in advanced face, part-glazed timber door in recess to right with veranda roof and further timber door in recess with slightly raised roofline to outer right.
W ELEVATION: quadripartite bow window with tiled half-conical roof at centre.
Leaded small upper lights over plate glass lower to S and W, plate glass glazing to E and 6-pane glazing pattern to veranda. Decorative diamond bands to grey and purple slates; terracotta ridge tiles with ball finials and exposed eaves.
INTERIOR: seen 2013; 2 rooms. Principal room to left timber-lined with exposed boarded roof.
The Burntisland Bowling Club is a particulary well detailed and largely unaltered example of a late 19th century bowling clubhouse. It is an eclectic mix of neo-Tudor, Cottage-Orné and Arts and Crafts influences. The jerkin-head roofs, polychromatic brickwork, diamond slates and timber supports to the half-timbered veranda all add to its distinctive character and mark it out as exceptional in bowling club design. The building is prominently located and is visible from the sea road.
The history of lawn bowls in Scotland is long and distinguished and it remains a hugely popular sport. The earliest reference to the game in Scotland appearing in 1469 when James IV played a variation referred to as 'lang bowlis' at St Andrews in Fife. The first public bowling green in Scotland was laid out in 1669 at Haddington near Edinburgh. However, it was not until 1864 that William Mitchell of Glasgow committed the rules of the modern game to writing in his Manual of Bowl-Playing. Machine manufactured standard bowls were invented by Thomas Taylor Ltd, also of Glasgow, in 1871 and the Scottish Bowling Association was formed in 1892. The advent of indoor bowling also began in Scotland around 1879. There are currently (2013) around 900 clubs with an estimated 90,000 players. Sport is a hugely important part of Scotland's shared social and cultural history and it is fitting that the country's sport-related architectural heritage is so rich and varied.
Category changed from C to B and statutory address and list description updated as part of the sporting buildings thematic study (2012-13). Previously listed as 'South Greenmount Road, Bowling Club'.
Other nearby listed buildings