This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.244 / 56°14'38"N
Longitude: -4.2149 / 4°12'53"W
OS Eastings: 262837
OS Northings: 707923
OS Grid: NN628079
Mapcode National: GBR 11.BM27
Mapcode Global: WH4NH.7B44
Entry Name: 1 Ancaster Square/57 Main Street
Listing Date: 6 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 358573
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22886
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Demonstrating good streetscape merit and important historical value, No 1/57 is prominently positioned on a corner site and forms part of the W range of a row of 2 storey, some with attics, rectangular plan houses dating in origin from the later 18th century. The square was designed to be the centre-piece of the planned town of Callander in the later 18th century and still remains as its focal point (2004).
The SE elevation would have originally been the principal elevation facing across the square. Although the centrally located door has been partially blocked to create a window, the marriage lintel dated 1773 remains. The left ground floor window has been enlarged to serve as a shop display window.
The SW elevation fronting onto the Main Street now functions as the principal elevation as the house has been re-organised at some point to become a commercial premise. A large 20th century plate glass window dominates the ground floor with the shop's main entrance located to the left. A tripartite window, probably inserted in the 19th century, is set centrally to the 1st floor. The rear (NW) elevation is largely obscured by the adjacent 55 Main Street, Royal Bank of Scotland (currently unlisted, 2004).
Due to being a commercial property much of the interior has been re-organised with the loss of visible historical fabric.
Thick painted render to all elevations with painted stone margins to openings. Replacement timber sash and case windows. A pair of distinctive local style canted timber dormer windows with curved roofs set to the E with a single similar dormer to the S. Due to being located on a corner site the roof construction is piended to the SE and pitched against the higher gable of the Bank. The main body of the roof runs pitched, continuing at the same level to the adjoining property to the NE, 3 Ancaster Street (see separate listing). Grey slates with lead flashing. Cast iron rainwater goods.
B-group with 3, 8, 9, 16, 18, 20, 24, 26 Ancaster Square. Ancaster Square is recognised as the historical centre of the town, the B-group represents surviving buildings with significant fabric from the 18th century conception of the square. As a group these buildings contribute significantly to the character of Callander.
A design for a planned town at Callander was commissioned by the Duke of Perth in the late 1730s. After the Duke's support of the unsuccessful 1745 Jacobite uprising his lands were confiscated by the Crown. The Duke's estate which included land at Callander was given over to the jurisdiction of the Commissioners of Forfeited Estates. It is interesting to note that land had already been feued pre 1745 but probably no building development had begun due to the worsening political situation of the Duke. The initial phase of work begun by the Commissioners in the 1770s was most likely a stretch of single storey cottages to either side of Major Caulfield's 1749 Military Road, the main A84 road. Ancaster Square was built as the focal point of the development with the street bisecting it, creating a N and S side. The parish church was re-located in the 1770s from its site close to the River Teith to a more prominent site on the N side of the square (now The Rob Roy and Trossachs Visitior Centre, see separate listing).
Other nearby listed buildings