This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9371 / 54°56'13"N
Longitude: -3.9309 / 3°55'51"W
OS Eastings: 276394
OS Northings: 561971
OS Grid: NX763619
Mapcode National: GBR 0CZC.S0
Mapcode Global: WH4W0.L5CJ
Entry Name: Marle Street and Lochside Road, Lochside Theatre Former St Andrews Parish Church (Church of Scotland) with Retaining Walls, Railings, Piers and Lamp Standards
Listing Date: 23 April 1990
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 358720
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22981
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Castle Douglas
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Town: Castle Douglas
Electoral Ward: Castle Douglas and Crocketford
Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire
James Barbour, 1869; extended, Barbour, 1880-81; chancel,
J. Jeffrey Waddell, 1931. Cruciform gothic church with 3-stage tower
converted to theatre, 1992.
Whinstone rubble with red sandstone ashlar dressings. base and string
courses; hoodmoulds; moulded and chamfered reveals. Transepts
to N and S.
TOWER: adjoined to SW corner of S transept. Pointed arch door
at base with chamfered reveal, nookshafts and nailhead
ornament; foliate label stops to hoodmould; 2-leaf boarded
doors with decorative hinges. Semi-circular, stair tower to
2nd stage, on W return elevation with half-conical roof and
lancet. Lancet to 2nd stage of tower; 3rd stage with 2 glazed
arrowslits to each face and 2 tall louvred openings to bell
chamber above, each in pointed arch panel. Crenellated
parapet with colonnetted ashlar spirelet to SW angle.
NAVE: 3 stepped lancets to W end, each with blind oculi in
apron with carving; paired lancets on return elevations and
slightly advanced single bay chapels by re-entrant angles,
each with lancet in gabled dormerhead and tall piend roof
breaking eaves studded with fleuron carvings. Gabled porch
set in re-entrant to N, with pointed arch door and lancet in
TRANSEPTS: M-gabled; each gabled bay with tall plate
traceried pointed arch window; ashlar cross finial.
CHANCEL: wallhead breaking eaves in E gable with kneelers and
3 stepped lancets.
Diamond-pane glazing. Decorative cast-iron gutter brackets.
Grey slates. Saw-tooth ashlar coped skews with bracketted
skewputts. Lead flashings and finials to piend and conical
Interior: not seen 1990. Stained glass by Margaret Chilton and Marjorie Kemp, 1948.
RETAINING WALLS, RAILINGS, PIERS AND LAMP STANDARDS: ashlar
coped, rubble retaining walls with cast- and wrought-iron
gates and railings. 2 pairs of square ashlar piers with
set-off details and paterae bands. Main gate with decorative
cast-iron lantern standards set on piers.
Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such.
Other nearby listed buildings