This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8454 / 55°50'43"N
Longitude: -4.0488 / 4°2'55"W
OS Eastings: 271817
OS Northings: 663256
OS Grid: NS718632
Mapcode National: GBR 005V.7D
Mapcode Global: WH4QH.SB6N
Entry Name: Kirkshaws Road 1, 2, 3 and 4 Kirkstyle Cottages Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 19 April 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 358762
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB23017
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Coatbridge West
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Thomas Smith, dated 1904; additions to E gable of eastmost block dated 1913. 2 pairs of single storey and attic, Tudor-style, near identical and symmetrical, semi-detached cottages with gabled dormers. Half timbered and harled. Each pair of cottages comprises central block with 2 oriels at ground floor flanked by single windows, terracotta panel at centre, terracotta date panel at centre of jettied at attic floor, 2 dormers, lychgate-type entrance porches to left and right, single storey bays to far left and right with oriel window and swept roof (except E cottage of westmost block). Return gables, each slightly different, outshot at right return of westmost block. Jettied attic floor, plain bargeboards. Porches to rear.
Boarded entrance doors with plate glass window (No.2) and arched glazed window (No.1), and side lights. Multipane timber glazing to Nos 1 and 2, replacement glazing and doors to Nos 3 and 4. Slate roof with small graded slates and finned and dentilled terracotta ridges, large slender central brick stacks balustraded to top and single gablehead stacks with fishscale-tiled gabled caps.
INTERIOR: some good simple Edwardian detailing surviving: panelled doors with two lying panels over two vertical panels, timber dado boarding to entrance hall and stairs, plain squared timber banisters to doubled turned stair, niches to landings. Some timber boarding upper bedroom and timber fire surround, to No. 1.
BOUNDARY WALLS: low walls with taller squared, capped gatepiers.
The Kirkstyle Cottages are a fine example of an Arts and Crafts building style in Scotland, they make a strong contribution to the streetscape including the grouping of the Old Monkland Church (see separate listing) and Graveyard. The paired symmetrical cottages have half timbering and a decorative roofline with dormers and elaborate Tudor style entrance porches to both front and rear. They were built by architect Thomas Smith (1862-1941) for the Reverend Sholto Douglas of the Douglas Support estate probably for estate employees. The buildings are dated and have crests with both S and V to represent Sholto and his wife Violet. It is thought that Violet requested buildings in this style on the estate following a visit to Europe where she has admired buildings in this half timbered style.
When the cottages were built, the south elevation was the entrance elevation with its prominent porches, built overlooking the older grouping of cottages to the south (now demolished). The original kitchens were to the north of the plan with a bath in the kitchen; most of the cottages have now moved the kitchens to the rear and turned the kitchens into bathrooms, except for No. 1 which has the original plan layout.
Thomas Smith (1862-1941) was brought up in Coatbridge from the age of 10. In 1884 he took a teaching post at the Glasgow School of Art until he resigned in 1895. In 1887 he started his own practice at 3 Church Street, Coatbridge, keen to stay in the area having turned down offers of partnership with James Boucher under whom he had served his apprenticeship. He is not known to have carried out many projects; his practice seems to have concentrated on smaller domestic and church commissions, almost exclusively in Coatbridge. It is notable that a local architect would build the Kirkstyle Cottages in such an unusual design taking inspiration from English and European historical precedents.
List description and statutory address updated 2013.
Other nearby listed buildings