This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3738 / 56°22'25"N
Longitude: -3.8433 / 3°50'35"W
OS Eastings: 286253
OS Northings: 721688
OS Grid: NN862216
Mapcode National: GBR 1H.2DJG
Mapcode Global: WH4N2.Y213
Entry Name: Lodge Street, Masonic Lodge with 2 and 4 Comrie Street and Library
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 359259
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB23500
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathearn
Traditional County: Perthshire
James Marshall, mason and John Keay, wright, dated 1816; alterations and additions 1888. 2-storey, 6-bay (above ground), classically-detailed Masonic Hall on ground falling to W. Narrow bull-faced bands with contrasting ashlar dressings; ashlar entrance front with ground floor shop and blocking course.
S (WEST HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: door to centre with 3 windows to left and 2 closely aligned windows to right, further opening beyond to right. 6 regularly-disposed large windows to 1st floor each surmounted by ashlar panel, that to bay 3 with tablet inscribed 'MASON'S HALL'; bays 5 and 6 under stepped eaves.
E (COMRIE STREET) ELEVATION: 2-bay elevation with main door (now to Library) set-back to right, Doric-columned doorpiece with decorated capitals and cornice giving way to shallow 1st floor with small centre window, narrow flanking lights (blocked?) and deep blocking course with inscription in Gothic tombstone-type lettering 'St Michael's Lodge 1816'. Shop to left with pilastered doorway, 2-leaf panelled timber door and screen door with sunburst fanlight, window angled to right and 2 irregular windows to left (all fixed display type), deep fascia and cornice giving way to 2 windows at 1st floor. Full-height pilaster to outer left.
W ELEVATION: 20th century extensions.
4- and 12-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar and render stacks with full complement of cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 2001.
Formerly listed as 'Masonic Lodge, Corner Lodge Street and Comrie Street (County Library Crieff Taylor Trust Branch & G W Cameron)'. The foundation stone was laid by Sir Patrick Murray of Ochtertyre on 19th July, 1816, and a new 'knights room' built above the shops in 1888. In 1895 the hall was leased to the Governor's of Taylor's Trust as a public library.
Other nearby listed buildings