This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0556 / 56°3'20"N
Longitude: -3.6314 / 3°37'53"W
OS Eastings: 298499
OS Northings: 685947
OS Grid: NS984859
Mapcode National: GBR 1R.QD4X
Mapcode Global: WH5QW.6201
Entry Name: Culross, Bessie Bar's Hall
Listing Date: 12 January 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 359817
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB23973
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1776. 3-storey, rectangular-plan former malthouse. Yellow coloured harl. Block ashlar surrounds to windows and doors. Gable faces on to street.
S ELEVATION: forestair from left. Stone steps; replacement timber handrail. 1st floor door to right; '1776' in lintel. Central 2nd floor hoist door/window. Central ventilation hole above; pointed arch; timber louvres.
E ELEVATION: forestair set back to far left; stone surrounds to small opening at base. Wide door to left of main elevation; gas lamp above right. 2 ground and 2 1st floor windows to right. Wide door to far right; gas lamp above left. Chamfered quoin to right gable. Section set back to far right built into bank; door to left. Stone steps to E lead into Palace garden and to rear of Bessie Bar's Hall.
N ELEVATION: wide central door leads into 1st floor above Bessie Bar's Hall.
W ELEVATION: plain elevation. Garden wall extends from left gable.
Replacement 9-pane timber casement windows, splayed internal cills. Wide timber studded doors. 2-leaf timber 1st floor door to S elevation. Pitched roof; clay pantiles. Raised roof level to N section.
INTERIOR: converted into tea room at ground floor; kitchens and lavatory to N; function room and gardener's workshop at 1st floor; storage at 2nd floor. Modern internal staircase to 1st and 2nd floors to S. Large fireplace retained in ground floor, S gable; small recess possibly for draught (now blocked) to left of fireplace in E elevation. Small blocked window in W elevation opposite cafe entrance door.
Bessie Bar is thought to have been Sir George Bruce's niece (NTS) and this was her malthouse. The nearby Bessie Bar Well was also named after her (see separate listing). According to Beveridge, Bessie's married name was Mrs Paterson and she had an extensive trade in malting. A tall rubble wall extends from the NW quoin to bound adjacent wynd (see separate listing). For brief history of Culross Burgh see Culross, The Cross, The Study.
Other nearby listed buildings