This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0554 / 56°3'19"N
Longitude: -3.6312 / 3°37'52"W
OS Eastings: 298510
OS Northings: 685925
OS Grid: NS985859
Mapcode National: GBR 1R.QD62
Mapcode Global: WH5QW.6236
Entry Name: Culross, Sandhaven, Bessie Bar Cottage
Listing Date: 12 January 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 359823
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB23979
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1796. 2-storey, rectangular-plan house; pend to E. Harled; painted ashlar surrounds to door and windows.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near central door; National Trust for Scotland (NTS) plaque above door; lintel dated 1796; single flanking windows. 3 1st floor windows. Pend opening to far left; chamfer and stop to left quoin of pend; exposed stone arch.
E ELEVATION: adjoins Sandhaven, House (Tarnawski).
S ELEVATION: near central door; flanking single windows. Pend to far right; exposed stone arch. 4 1st floor windows. 2 projecting stones to far left.
W ELEVATION: not seen, 2001.
Replacement 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Timber boarded door. Pitched roof; clay pantiles to S; slates to N. Stone screws; scroll skewputts to N. Coped gable apex stacks.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2001. Modern pend inserted.
Formerly listed as Bessie Bar House (Va Kus) Main Street. Bessie Bar was a maltress, her malt house stands across the road to the NW. The nearby Bessie Bar Well was also named after her. According to Beveridge, Bessie's married name was Mrs Paterson and she had an extensive trade in malting. She is thought to have been Sir George Bruce's neice (NTS). A building attached to the rear left of the house is depicted on the 1860 OS Map, perhaps the projecting stones at 1st floor relate to this building. A circa 1900's photograph shows the principal elevation with door to left (now pend); central double doors with window to right and 3 1st floor windows. This property was restored in 1962. For brief history of Culross Burgh see Culross, The Cross, The Study.
Other nearby listed buildings