This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0574 / 56°3'26"N
Longitude: -3.6173 / 3°37'2"W
OS Eastings: 299382
OS Northings: 686127
OS Grid: NS993861
Mapcode National: GBR 1R.Q99R
Mapcode Global: WH5QW.D0QN
Entry Name: Culross, Low Causeway, the Endowment Including Boundary Wall and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 19 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 359878
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24031
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages
Traditional County: Fife
1830. Single storey, 6-bay institutional building with classical and gothic details, now converted to house. Pedimented central 2 bays. Advanced base course; vertical margins; eaves course; eaves cornice; margins to windows and doors; hoodmoulds. Droved ashlar block to principal elevation; rubble to rear.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical elevation. Central 2 bays advanced slightly; 2 bipartite windows. Corniced pediment; carved Preston armorial panel in tympanum; dated 1830. Maltese cross finial. Flanking doors; 4-pane fanlights; bipartite window to outer bay. Steps lead up to doors. Small bay set back to far right; central window.
SW ELEVATION: plain gable wall.
NW ELEVATION: 4 windows to centre and right; hoodmoulds. Plain, smaller window to right. Door to left; door to later bay to far left.
NE ELEVATION: plain wall; small wing advanced to centre right.
Replacement lattice glazing; chamfered stone mullions and transoms; chamfered margins. Large timber doors, raised panels. Pitched slate roof; corniced gable apex stacks and central ridge stack; polygonal clay cans.
INTERIOR: modernised circa 1980. Exposed stone to W gable wall.
Tall rubble wall to rear to E curves and continues to N as retaining wall with bank beyond. Tall rubble sandstone wall extends along roadside; terminating in square-plan ashlar piers; corniced coping stones. Out-house attached to E. Low wall in front of The Endowment; metal railings; central gate.
Formerly listed as The Valleyfield Endowment. Sir Robert Preston established an endowment to provide a weekly allowance in their homes, of meal and money to 6 old men and 6 old women (Duncan). This building was connected to the endowment and became a soup kitchen. By the early 19th century it had become a scout hall with scoutmaster's house and was derelict by 1979.
Other nearby listed buildings