History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Culross, Kirk Street, Coachman's Cottage

A Category B Listed Building in Culross, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0564 / 56°3'22"N

Longitude: -3.6274 / 3°37'38"W

OS Eastings: 298748

OS Northings: 686028

OS Grid: NS987860

Mapcode National: GBR 1R.QF1B

Mapcode Global: WH5QW.71XG

Entry Name: Culross, Kirk Street, Coachman's Cottage

Listing Date: 19 July 1973

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 359900

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24050

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Culross

County: Fife

Town: Culross

Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Culross

Description

From later 17th century. 2-storey, 3-bay house; 2-bay wing to N; rectangular-plan. Harled; stone surrounds; early 19th century pilastered doorpiece.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-storey section to right; central window (former door); corniced, pilastered ashlar doorpiece; foliate medallions. Metal boot scrape to left of former door. Ground floor window to left and right. Small window/former chute to far left. Single 1st floor windows to left and right of door, hugging eaves. Lower section to far left; window (former door) to right; chamfered surrounds; small window to left. Swept, harled wall extends westwards, stone coping; replacement decorative metal pedestrian gate.

N ELEVATION: not seen, 2001.

E ELEVATION: central door; flanking windows; 3 1st floor windows. Modern porch to centre. 2-bay wing to N; door to left; 2 windows to right; modern dormer window wholly in roof.

S ELEVATION: attached to Snuff Cottage; raggles of former building visible.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Pitched roofs; clay pantiles. Gable end stacks to house and W wing.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2001.

Statement of Interest

Thought to date from 1670 (Pride), Coachman's Cottage was privately restored in the 1950's. For brief history of Culross Burgh see Culross, The Cross, The Study.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.