This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.9309 / 54°55'51"N
Longitude: -3.8264 / 3°49'35"W
OS Eastings: 283065
OS Northings: 561112
OS Grid: NX830611
Mapcode National: GBR 1CQF.C5
Mapcode Global: WH5X6.6B46
Entry Name: Craignair Road Craignair Church, (Church of Scotland) Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 4 November 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 360208
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24307
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Abbey
Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire
Peddie and Kinnear, architects, 1878-80. Symmetrical
buttressed T-plan apsidal church with tower to NW angle.
Coursed bull-faced granite with polished sandstone margins
3-bay nave, 2-bay gabled transepts, single bay chancel with
projecting semi-circular apse lit by 5 small lancets. All
openings pointed-arched with chamfered jambs and linked by
continuous hoodmould/string course. Main doorway to N flanked
by small paired lancets; triple lancet above transepts with
central porch on gable end flanked by lancets with cinquefoil
rose window above.
Tower in 3 stages with angle buttresses; lower 2 stages
plain, 3rd stage with paired louvered openings. Octagonal
broached spire rises to finial.
Interior: narthex with 2 doors to nave and gallery stair in
tower. Gallery to N with panelled front, supported on
cast-iron column. Organ to E transept; 1897 Forester and
Andrews. Apse to S with dado panelling and 5 stained glass
lights. Elaborately carved pulpit on raised dais. Roof ribs
supported on stone corbels.
Low ashlar wall with cast-iron railings; good sandstone
gatepiers with cast-iron lamp brackets.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Other nearby listed buildings