History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tulloch Street, St Clements Church (C of S Parish Church), Gatepiers and Burial Ground

A Category A Listed Building in Dingwall, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.5973 / 57°35'50"N

Longitude: -4.4286 / 4°25'43"W

OS Eastings: 254950

OS Northings: 858964

OS Grid: NH549589

Mapcode National: GBR H8FN.44N

Mapcode Global: WH3DN.Y99N

Entry Name: Tulloch Street, St Clements Church (C of S Parish Church), Gatepiers and Burial Ground

Listing Date: 25 March 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 360488

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24516

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dingwall

County: Highland

Town: Dingwall

Electoral Ward: Dingwall and Seaforth

Traditional County: Ross-shire

Find accommodation in
Dingwall

Description

George Burn, Haddington, 1799-1803. Rectangular with octagonal

tower and spire; pinned coursed rubble, tooled ashlar dressings.

North elevation: 2-storey, 3-bay with projecting, pedimented

wide centre bay with pointed-headed entrance and similarly

detailed side lights, linked by continuous hoodmould. 2

pointed-headed windows above flank round-arched opening with

2 pointed-headed lights and quatrefoil in spandrel, similarly

glazed windows in outer bays to ground and gallery, former

with pointed heads, later with round. Intersecting Gothic

tracery in heads. Octagonal belfry on square base above

pediment with round-arched keystoned panels, alternately

blind and louvred, linked by cill band and string course at

springing level. Octagon crowned by tall, broached, slender

octagonal ashlar spire with blind oval oculi and terminating

with weather vane.

South elevation: 4 long pointed-headed windows with late

19th century tracery and glazing linked by continuous

hoodmould; square projecting harled Minister's porch in centre

with moulded string course and round-headed windows.

Side elevations: 3 gallery and 2 ground floor windows, some

blind, all with square heads and later 19th century tracery

and glazing. Piended slate roof.

Interior: 5-sided panelled gallery; large, later 19th century rectangular pulpit with finialled and pendanted sounding board.

Gate piers and burial ground walls; W C Joass, 1875-76. Square

ashlar gate piers with corniced copes and stepped caps with

ball finials; linking wrought-iron overthrow and lamp bracket;

pair simple cast-iron gates with spear head detailing. Rubble

walls with dressed cope. Various 17th, 18th and 19th century

tomb stones, some in burial enclosures re-using walling from

previous church.

Statement of Interest

Building in ecclesiastical use as such. Built on site of

earlier church. Symbol stone in burial ground is Scheduled

Monument. Milne Bell 1754.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.