History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tulloch Castle and Arched Tunnel Entrance

A Category B Listed Building in Dingwall, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.609 / 57°36'32"N

Longitude: -4.4329 / 4°25'58"W

OS Eastings: 254743

OS Northings: 860270

OS Grid: NH547602

Mapcode National: GBR H8FM.273

Mapcode Global: WH3DN.W08Q

Entry Name: Tulloch Castle and Arched Tunnel Entrance

Listing Date: 25 March 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 360492

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24518

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dingwall

County: Highland

Town: Dingwall

Electoral Ward: Dingwall and Seaforth

Traditional County: Ross-shire

Find accommodation in
Dingwall

Description

16th century square tower with later alterations and extensions

varying from 17th to early 20th century to north and east.

Extensions, restoration and improvements, A Maitland and Sons,

1891; further alterations, Sir Robert Lorimer, 1920-22.

Harled tower, rubble eslewhere, ashlar dressings throughout.

Tower at SW with heavy boulder footings, chamfered SW angle to

1st floor, gun loops, later Venetian window in 1st floor,

west elevation. 2 enlarged and symmetrical windows each floor

in south tower elevation; original small windows in drum stair

tower at NW; later corbelled and crenellated parapets to tower

and stair tower. 1891 3-storey, 3-bay wing extends east flush

with tower (with earlier extension forming core) with large

2-storey canted bay window; raised from 2 to 3 storeys by Sir

Robert Lorimer, the 3 upper windows rising through wallhead in

ornately carved pedimented gables, the centre dated 1920;

similarly carved head in east crowstepped gable-head. Wing

extends 3 storeys, 5 bays at east elevation with 5 pedimented

gabled dormers rising through wallhead similarly detailed as

in south front. Venetian window in SE gable. Square projecting

heavy corbelled and parapetted porch masking corniced and

moulded lugged architraved doorpiece with heavily panelled

and studded Lorimer door. Large round headed, hoodmoulded and crenellated archway leads to service wings at rear. Multi and

2-pane glazing; corniced ridge and end stacks; crowsteps; slate

roof.

Interior: vaulted basement; remodelled 1st floor hall with

original great fireplace; ornamental plaster ceiling (1920-22).

Later 19th century pine panelling and wide balustraded stair

case. Arched tunnel entrance; segmental headed tunnel entrance

carrying path linking east and west parts of garden.

Statement of Interest

Tulloch was a barony of the Bains until 1760, when it passed

to the Davidsons. Now used by Highland Region Education

Authority.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.