This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9429 / 55°56'34"N
Longitude: -4.5672 / 4°34'1"W
OS Eastings: 239769
OS Northings: 675186
OS Grid: NS397751
Mapcode National: GBR 0L.YRXL
Mapcode Global: WH3NJ.TWBG
Entry Name: High Street, Dumbarton Riverside Parish Church, Cemetery Walls and Gateways
Listing Date: 3 March 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 360995
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24885
Building Class: Cultural
County: West Dunbartonshire
Electoral Ward: Dumbarton
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
John Brash of Glasgow, architect. Dated 1811. Simple,
rectangular-plan church with pedimented gables, 2-stage
square tower with spire over west gable; modern brick
extensions to south east. Rubble-built; west front, tower and
dressings all ashlar. West (gabled) elevation of church;
central 2-leaf door with rectangular fanlight in broad
pilastered doorpiece flanked by single windows; 3 windows
above at gallery level. 1st stage of tower has round-headed
window flanked by paired Ionic pilasters at angles; off-set
2nd stage with clock to each face; urns above, over angles;
faceted spire, rising from arcaded, octagonal base;
weather-vane finial. North and south elevations each 5 bays,
with door in west bay; eaves course and cornice. All door and
window openings square-headed; margined glazing pattern
(inserted 1885). Continuous band course between windows.
Slate roof. Sundial on south wall at west corner.
Interior: gallery to 3 walls, supported on simple cast-iron
columns, and entered through Ionic-columned screen at upper
level; panelled; painted; clock central on west side between
Burgh Arms and Burning Bush. Octagonal oak pulpit and reredos
with cusped panels, and set on east wall probably not
original; 3-light ascension window above (replacing 2 circa
1880 windows) by C Stewart, 1946. 4 windows on south wall, 3
of themes from the sermon on the mount; 2 by W & J J Kier
(one dated 1876), one by Stephen Adam & Thomson (1886) and
crucifixion window by William Morris & Co (after 1915).
Unsigned window on north wall dated 1948.
Churchyard enclosed by low, droved ashlar cemetery wall which
links to north wall of church. Main gateway flanked by
polished ashlar lintelled, corniced and urn capped pedestrian
ways (also by Brash); modern wrought-iron gates - original
cast-iron side gate to Church Place.
Original Brash scheme too expensive; he was asked to "reconsider the plans"; he then provided "new altered plans.. considerably smaller, and a number of ornaments... omitted".
Various alterations and renovations; architects include John
MacLeod A C Denny and Wm Blair.
Glazing pattern imitates that of St George's Church, Glasgow.
In ecclesiastical use.
Other nearby listed buildings