History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Caird Park Mains Castle

A Category A Listed Building in Dundee, Dundee

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.4856 / 56°29'8"N

Longitude: -2.9581 / 2°57'29"W

OS Eastings: 341092

OS Northings: 733018

OS Grid: NO410330

Mapcode National: GBR ZC5.Y1

Mapcode Global: WH7RB.J7LX

Entry Name: Caird Park Mains Castle

Listing Date: 12 July 1963

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 361207

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25066

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dundee

County: Dundee

Electoral Ward: Strathmartine

Traditional County: Angus

Find accommodation in
Dundee

Description

Fortified house begun as a hunting lodge circa 1460. Largely constructed 1562, dominated by tall tower, top stage rebuilt 1630. E wing remodelled early 18th century. Restored from dereliction early-mid 1980s. Rubble-built, probably once harled. MAIN HALL, with cellars below, bedchambers and, formerly a servants' attic above. N elevation: blocked door and 3 gunloops at basement. 2 blocked roll-moulded windows to hall. 2 gabletted bedchamber windows piercing eaves (a conjectural restoration). Crow-stepped gables with gable end stacks. Windows asymmetrically placed to W gable. Modern lean-to rubble-built addition to house fire escape at E gable. Elevation to yard: 2 large and 1 small window at hall level. Cellar door probably formed 1630. 2 wallhead dormers, originally transomed, and rebuilt crowstepped gable adjoining newel stair of tower.

Square-section 70 foot TOWER at SW angle of hall. Roll-moulded door to renewed spiral stair with barrel vault at 2nd, whence newel stair corbels out at NE angle of tower. 5th stage rebuilt 1630 above corbel table. Gable and flat finial or stack to each face. Iron ties.

W WALL incorporated at N the gable of the first house, with blocked openings. Parapet corbelled out, crenellation now missing. Curved NW angle corbelled out to bartizan. Corbels of similar bartizan over arched roll-moulded entrance, formerly dated 1562. SE angle rebuilt to carry taller building, since demolished. 2 windows and part of a 3rd survive. Lean to buildings between wall and tower demolished.

E, KITCHEN, RANGE. E elevation 16th century, 1st floor centre and left roll-moulded windows are original, that to right a partial restoration. Door to left. Courtyard elevation rebuilt early 18th century, 4-window frontage. Stair door to right with inscription over dated 1582 and renaissance-detailed carved panel. Piended S end to roof. Ridge stack.

S wing largely demolished, inner courtyard wall survives at ground level only, with doorway and blocked window. Roofs reslated. Modern windows, small-paned sash and case.

Statement of Interest

Originally Fintry Castle, seat of the Grahams of Fintry, abandoned in favour of Linlathen House in the mid 18th century, acquired by Dundee Town Council 1913 with a gift from Sir James K Caird. Was uninhabited from circa 1950 to 1980 and fell into ruin. Restored by Dundee District Council with MSC labour in early 1980s. Now a restaurant with a residential wing. Tower unusually tall, to survey the neighbourhood from its low-lying position.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.