History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

29 Paterson Street and Return Elevation to Milton Street, Lawside Works (2-Storey and Attic Former Mill at Corner of Paterson and Milton Streets Only)

A Category B Listed Building in Dundee, Dundee

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.474 / 56°28'26"N

Longitude: -2.982 / 2°58'55"W

OS Eastings: 339601

OS Northings: 731755

OS Grid: NO396317

Mapcode National: GBR Z8M.3L

Mapcode Global: WH7RB.5J7S

Entry Name: 29 Paterson Street and Return Elevation to Milton Street, Lawside Works (2-Storey and Attic Former Mill at Corner of Paterson and Milton Streets Only)

Listing Date: 18 May 1987

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 361237

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25089

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dundee

County: Dundee

Town: Dundee

Electoral Ward: Coldside

Traditional County: Angus

Find accommodation in
Dundee

Description

Circa 1830-40, extended circa 1865-6, 2-storey and attic
L-plan rubble-built jute mill.
Elevation to Milton St: 2-storey and attic 10-bay red
sandstone mill, circa 1830-40, with later loading doors at
ground and 1st floors. Attic level cornice. N gable
flat-topped finial and cast-iron fire-escape. Gable end
of 1860s block added to 3 S bays of mill with round-headed
12-pane sash and case window over cornice.
Elevation to Paterson St remodelled and extended in 1860s.
Engine house rebuilt with 2 tall round-headed keystoned
bays enclosing ground and 1st floor windows. 2-storey 9-bay
mill to E with attic-level cornice. Flat-topped finial at E
gable. Slate roofs.
Interiors: at least part of the 1830s mill has been rebuilt
with concrete floors. 1860s mill appears to be wooden
floored with iron columns. Original roofs.

Statement of Interest

owned by J Neish, a pioneer in the introduction of jute,

and later by his manager J Paterson. The site, distant

from other early mills, was chosen to allow dyeing (carried

out across the road, now a builders yard) of yarn for jute

carpets, first woven at Heathfield Works. The small

Italianate tower was built for the mechanics' shop in 1871.

Factory, built 1887, to E, between Paterson St and

Strathmore Avenue, is excluded from list.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.