This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4671 / 56°28'1"N
Longitude: -2.9707 / 2°58'14"W
OS Eastings: 340289
OS Northings: 730979
OS Grid: NO402309
Mapcode National: GBR Z9T.JV
Mapcode Global: WH7RB.BQM2
Entry Name: 36 Forebank Road, St Mary's or Our Lady of Victories, Rc Church
Listing Date: 4 February 1965
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 361435
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25249
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Coldside
Traditional County: Angus
George Mathewson 1850-1, twin towers and narthex added 1900 by Thomas M Cappon with William G Lamond as draughtsman. Additions by Reginald Fairlie 1926.
Large Byzantine-Romanesque church, rubble-built nave and aisles, chancel and transepts.
E gable dominated by twin art nouveau campanili, 1900, coursed rubble with ashlar base and lanterns. Each tower square section with rounded angles, 5-light round headed windows at base, small bipartites above. Recessed upper stage between cylindrical angle shafts. Lantern has hood moulded, single-light round headed openings with convex mouldings, bells in N campanile. Cornice with inverted arched parapet between cylindrical cross-finialled pinnacles, enclosing smaller square section tower with louvred arched openings and broad eaved copper-clad pagoda roof and cross finial. Small hemispherical baptistry at base of N tower.
Towers linked by low arched doorway with curved moulding, hood mould, niche and elaborate wrought-iron gate. Curvilinear parapet. 1850 E gable recessed between towers. Large round-headed window with simple loop and circle tracery. Cross finial to gable.
Halls to S (former school) circa 1860, extended Ireland and McLaren, 1875, and Robert Keith 1883, remodelled Peter Inglis, 1995: advanced gabled hall, ground floor single and flanking two light arched windows, first floor triple-light arched windows, gable oculus and stack. Triple-light lattice-paned windows to S elevation. 5-bay single-storey section, 1875, door and paired arched windows: sides and rear modern. Romanesque chevron-moulded gateway to the south, formerly the main school entrance.
Boundary wall, rubble-built with ashlar copes, roll-moulded segmental arched gate linked by over-arch to hall. Modern railings.
Side elevations: rubble built 6 3-light, stepped round-headed lancets with primitive moulding. Gabled transepts with simple rose window to side and 3-light window to W. Lower side chapels by Reginald Fairlie, 1926, added to re-entrant angles, flat roofed to N, pitched roof to S and linking with presbytery.
W sanctuary gable 5-light stepped, round-headed window and geometric rose window, crudely detailed, in recessed centre. Cross finial to gable. Slate roofs, modern ventilators.
Interior: high barrel vaulted nave and chancel with arched arcade on clustered piers with bell capital shafts. Flat ceilings to aisles. Arcaded alter rail with marble shafts. Carved and gilded altar, gabled arcaded reredos. N and S chancel windows have modern glazing to borrow light from side chapels. Recently redecorated (angles and stars over reredos painted over). Very simple curves by Lamond at base of campanile.
remainder of school, one of the first set up for Roman Catholic Education, was demolished in 1994.
Other nearby listed buildings