History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Park Place, Carnelley Building, University of Dundee, Including Boundary Walls

A Category B Listed Building in Dundee, Dundee

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.4578 / 56°27'28"N

Longitude: -2.9786 / 2°58'42"W

OS Eastings: 339787

OS Northings: 729947

OS Grid: NO397299

Mapcode National: GBR Z8Z.9X

Mapcode Global: WH7RB.6YW7

Entry Name: Park Place, Carnelley Building, University of Dundee, Including Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 30 March 1994

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 361461

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25266

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dundee

County: Dundee

Town: Dundee

Electoral Ward: West End

Traditional County: Angus

Find accommodation in
Invergowrie

Description

2-storey, basement and attic, basically rectangular-plan, classically-detailed, purpose-built chemistry teaching building of

complex building history thus: original single storey and basement,

L-plan building 1883; pavilion added at SW angle forming U-plan 1889; 2 tripartite bays added to N forming rectangular-plan 1905; 1st floor 1950; attic storey 1957-8. Cream sandstone ashlar at front and Park Place elevations (channelled at front ground floor centre bays), stugged coursers elsewhere, slightly darker at 1st floor, ashlar dressings; slate-hung Mansard roof. Ground and 1st floors slightly set-back from basement, channelled quoin strips at angles, ashlar wallhead course and moulded cornice, cill course at ground floor to front and Park Place elevations; single, bi- and tripartite windows, architraved to front and Park Place elevations, 2-pane timber sash and case glazing pattern, large multi-pane top-hoppers to lecture theatre

block at NW angle. Cast-iron rainwater goods, hopper dated 1883 at rear elevation.

FRONT ELEVATION: 7-bay, symmetrical. 5 bays recessed to centre; corniced tripartite doorpiece to centre with panelled door, leaded fanlight and sidelights, approached by balustraded steps over basement with pedestals and squat cast-iron lampstandards (lanterns missing), bipartite and single windows to left and right, 3 bipartites flanked by single windows to 1st floor, 2 painted coats of arms between floors, 2 single and bipartite windows to basement, 5 dormers. Pavilion bays advanced to left and right; tripartite windows to all floors.

LEFT RETURN ELEVATION: original lecture theatre bay slightly advanced to left with 3 elongated stepped windows and coped pedimental gable with anthemion acroterion; 9 bays to right with 7 windows to basement, 9 to ground and 1st floor, 7 dormers.

PARK PLACE ELEVATION: 9-bay, symmetrical. Various doors and windows to basement; tripartite window to ground and 1st floor centre flanked by bipartites and 3 single windows; 10 dormers.

REAR ELEVATION: original lecture theatre to right with 4 elongated windows, partially masked by various fire escapes; higher block to left with 4 windows at ground and 1st floor, 3 dormers; later, higher single bay ventilation block to right rising from lecture theatre wallhead.

INTERIOR: memorial plaque to Thomas Carnelley in entrance hall; ground floor laboratories retain original benches and sinks, boarded arch-braced roof with 4-light continuous glazing; original pitch pine panelled doors and architraves; main lecture theatre in original condition with pitch pine pews and lecture bench, panelled window reveals and boarded arch-braced roof with continuous glazing.

BOUNDARY WALLS: high rubble boundary wall to Park Place extending in part to front and rear elevations, probably of late 18th/early 19th century origin pertaining to earlier villas on the site.

Statement of Interest

This building is named after Thomas Carnelley, first Professor of Chemistry at Dundee (1882-88). University College Dundee was officially opened in October 1883, and the Carnelley Building was the only purpose-built structure for the new College, built at the cost of £10,000 given by Miss Mary Ann Baxter of Balgavies, principal benefactress to the College. The balustraded parapet with pediments and angle dies which was part of the 1883 and 1889 designs was lost in the addition of the 1st floor and attic. The original fittings in the ground floor laboratories and the survival of the main lecture theatre virtually intact are important elements in the listing of this building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.