This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4573 / 56°27'26"N
Longitude: -2.9806 / 2°58'50"W
OS Eastings: 339661
OS Northings: 729890
OS Grid: NO396298
Mapcode National: GBR Z8R.MT
Mapcode Global: WH7RB.5YXN
Entry Name: Off Perth Road, Geddes Quadrangle, Carnegie Building, University of Dundee
Listing Date: 4 February 1965
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 361474
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25273
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West End
Traditional County: Angus
Rowand Anderson and Paul, dated 1909. 2-storey and attic with basement on falling ground to S, rectangular-plan, Scottish Renaissance-detailed physics laboratory. Ashlar at E elevation and S gable, cream at ground floor and dressings, red at 1st floor; bull-faced snecked rubble with cream ashlar dressings at N gable and W elevation; slated platform roof. Base course, band course at 1st floor, moulded wallhead with corbelled eaves; rusticated quoins. Segmental-headed windows with multi-pane, timber top-hopper frames to ground floor front; square-headed, 12-pane sash and case elsewhere, architraved and corniced with ashlar cill panels at 1st floor front; 5 pedimented 12-pane dormers to front, bipartite flat-roofed dormers to rear.
Aediculaed, louvred ventilator with finialled cupola set on balustraded platform at roof. Cast-iron rainwater goods with some moulded hoppers.
E (FRONT) ELEVATION: asymmetrical. Bay advanced to centre right; doorpiece advanced to right with 2-leaf panelled doors, lugged and moulded architrave, mannered curvilinear pediment, window to left incporporating nameplate panel, keystoned and corniced Venetian window to 1st floor, segmental pediment with swagged coat of arms; 4 bays recessed to right with windows at ground and 1st floor; 3 bays recessed to left with windows to ground (1 cut-down to door) and 1st floor;
extended mainly plain bay to far left with 2 oculi to ground floor and panel to 1st inscribed 'The Carnegie Laboratory of Physics 1909'.
S GABLE: 3 segmental-arched doors to basement; centre bay slightly advanced, Venetian window at 1st floor incorporating bull's eye windows, pediment above with coat of arms. N gable: single window to 1st floor centre, dormer.
W ELEVATION: windows to ground and 1st floor, 1 with acid tray at cill of preparation room window, modern addition to centre.
INTERIOR: 2-storey entrance hall with 3-bay, Ionic-columned arcade and scale and platt staircase; preparation room with original glazed cupboards and gallery.
The quadrangle is named after Patrick Geddes, biologist, sociologist, educationalist and town planner who taught botany at University College Dundee 1889-1914. A commemorative plaque in the entrance hall records that the building was the gift of Andrew Carnegie (Rector of St Andrews
University 1901-7, and to which UCD was affiliated from 1890); the foundation stone was laid by the Lady Marjorie Adeline Sinclair, 10th October 1908, and the building opened by Sir Joseph J Thomson, 26th November 1909. En-suite materially with the Harris Building, by the same architects.
Other nearby listed buildings