This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4582 / 56°27'29"N
Longitude: -2.9802 / 2°58'48"W
OS Eastings: 339692
OS Northings: 729991
OS Grid: NO396299
Mapcode National: GBR Z8V.XX
Mapcode Global: WH7RB.6X4Y
Entry Name: Small's Lane, Ewing Building, University of Dundee, Including Boundary Walls, Railings, Gates and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 30 March 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 361507
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25296
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West End
Traditional County: Angus
Reginald Fairlie, dated 1953. 2-storey and basement, with penthouse additions, rectangular-plan university building. Cream ashlar to front, coursers to sides and rear, flat roof on 2 levels with subsequent additions. Multi-pane metal windows; cill and lintel courses to 1st floor rear elevation; coped wallheads; cast-iron rainwater goods to rear elevation;
FRONT (E) ELEVATION: 9 bays delineated by 8 giant pilasters in antis, flanked by blank bays to left and right. 2-leaf panelled doors to centre, splayed reveals, fanlight with wrought-iron grille, approached by segmental, splayed flight of steps with coped flanks rounded at ends, decorative lanterns to flanking pilasters, dated lintel with coat of arms above, window to 1st floor; 6-pane windows to basement at 4 recessed bays to left and right, windows to ground and 1st floor with panels at 1st floor level. 3 sculpted coats of arms at 1st floor level to outer bays.
LEFT RETURN ELEVATION: fire escape to centre leading to penthouse addition, windows to left and right, stepped wallhead.
RIGHT RETURN ELEVATION TO SMALL'S LANE: asymmetrical; base course, 5 windows to ground floor left, 7 windows to 1st floor.
REAR (W) ELEVATION TO SMALL'S WYND: bay advanced to centre with full-height stair window in recessed panel, 9 bays to left with windows at all floors, (door to 4th bay from left, ground floor), 8 bays to right with windows at all floors (2-leaf doors to ground floor centre); penthouse additions and dish aerials at roof.
INTERIOR: not seen.
BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, GATES AND GATEPIERS: low coped ashlar boundary walls to Small's Wynd with plain steel railings; coped ashlar quadrants with plain steel railings to Small's Lane, 2 square-section open-work steel gatepiers with lantern bases (lanterns removed), paired plain steel gates and footgate.
The foundation stone was laid by Lord Burghley in October 1950 and the building opened in February 1954, housing the Departments of Electrical Engineering and Botany. Fairlie died in 1952, and the building was largely carried out by his partner Charles Gray. Subsequent penthouse additions have marred the integrity of the original design. The building is named after Professor James Alfred Ewing, First Professor of Engineering at University College Dundee.
Other nearby listed buildings