This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4575 / 56°27'26"N
Longitude: -2.9799 / 2°58'47"W
OS Eastings: 339708
OS Northings: 729912
OS Grid: NO397299
Mapcode National: GBR Z8V.ZH
Mapcode Global: WH7RB.6Y8H
Entry Name: 55, 55a, 59 and 61 Small's Wynd, Former Fleming Gymnasium, Boiler House and Jute Shed, University of Dundee
Listing Date: 30 March 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 361512
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25300
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West End
Traditional County: Angus
Complex of buildings comprising former gymnasium and fives courts building, boiler house and jute shed (adjoining E wing of the Geddes Quadrangle to S and E).
FLEMING GYMNASIUM: John Donald Mills and Godfrey D B Shepherd, dated 1905. Single storey, rectangular-plan, former gymnasium including 2-storey, 2-bay former fives courts. Stugged and snecked squared ashlar with polished dressings, grey slate piended roof. Fives courts to left; door at ground floor, 2 windows to 1st. Gymnasium to right; 7-bay, tall round-headed keystoned windows with non-traditional glazing, recessed at 5 centre bays delineated by ashlar pilasters (without capitals), 2-leaf glazed and panelled doors to outer bays, moulded doorcases with dentiled cornice, overdoor panels inscribed 'University College Dundee' to left and 'The Fleming Gymnasium: AD 1905' to right. Small's Wynd elevation: 3-bay, centre bay recessed with tripartite window to ground floor and at 1st floor breaking through eaves with gabled dormerhead, tripartite window to ground floor right, bipartite to 1st floor left. INTERIOR: altered and adapted to new uses.
BOILER HOUSE AND JUTE SHED: Charles Edward and Thomas Saunders Robertson, 1872 (possibly incorporating earlier building). Snecked bull-faced rubble with cream ashlar dressings, grey slate roof. 2-storey gable to right; base course, ashlar quoins, ashlar-coped skews, full-length ridge ventilator, segmental doorway and 3 windows to ground floor, segmental window to 1st, modern single storey addition to right. Lower 3-bay, single storey and attic wing to left; ashlar base course and parapet, channelled quoin strips, segmental cart entrance blocked as doorway to slightly advanced bay at left, 3 windows to 2 bays at right, 3 modern rooflights. Wing to far left; random rubble, grey slate piended roof, 3 doorways of differing sizes, 8-light continuous rooflight. INTERIOR: altered and adapted to new uses.
This former jute shed was associated with James Edward of A and D Edward, Flaxspinners, who lived at Ellenbank during the 1840s-60s (Ellenbank listed at 1 and 3 Perth Road).
The former Fleming Gymnasium, opened in 1905 and is a good example of an early purpose built gymnasium in Scotland. The imposing and classically proportioned principal elevations are well-detailed with pilasters and round-arched windows, adding to its streetscape interest. The City of Dundee more generally, was an early champion of regular physical activity and training, understanding that a need existed for providing institutions where physical training could be brought within the reach of all. The building now houses the University of Dundee Forensic Medicine Department. Robert Fleming was an important Scottish financier and an acknowledged expert in the financing of American railroads.
List description updated as part of the sporting buildings thematic study (2012-13).
Other nearby listed buildings