This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4577 / 56°27'27"N
Longitude: -2.9793 / 2°58'45"W
OS Eastings: 339743
OS Northings: 729934
OS Grid: NO397299
Mapcode National: GBR Z8V.Z1
Mapcode Global: WH7RB.6YJB
Entry Name: 56 Small's Wynd, Old Medical School, Including Boundary Wall and Railings, University of Dundee
Listing Date: 30 March 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 361519
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25304
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West End
Traditional County: Angus
John Murray Robertson and James Findlay, dated 1902. 4-storey and attic rectangular-plan, 13-bay medical school. Stugged pinkish sandstone coursers, snecked to rear, ashlar dressings, steeply pitched double pile piended roof with original green slates at W (replaced with grey slates at E following fire in 1970). Base course, moulded cill course to each floor, moulded eaves course; ogival-capped and finialled angle towers corbelled from 1st floor; segmental-pedimented Dutch gable to centre of N and S elevations with oculus to S and paired round-headed windows to N, smaller pedimented gables to W elevation; large, round ogival-capped and finialled cupola with continuous glazing. Cross windows to ground, 1st and 2nd floors with 4-pane to top and single pane to bottom sash and case glazing, bipartites with
8-pane sash and case glazing to 3rd floor, cast-iron rainwater goods.
FRONT (S) ELEVATION: 3 centre bays advanced, stepped doorpiece consisting of corniced 2-leaf panelled door with sidelight approached by steps with coped flanks, 4-light depressed arch window above with chamfered reveals and corbelled parapet, canted bay rising to wallhead with two 4-light stair windows flanked by single windows at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors, gable above; 4 bays recessed to left and right with 4
windows to all floors; angle towers to 2nd and 3rd floors with 2
windows; 3 rooflights to left, 5 modern rooflights to right.
REAR (N) ELEVATION: symmetrical, 11 windows to all floors, gable above, angle towers to 2nd and 3rd floors with 2 windows.
E ELEVATION: 3-bay, windows to all floors with fire escape to centre, gable removed.
W ELEVATION: (to Small's Wynd): 3-bay, bipartite window to centre flanked by tripartites to all floors, gable.
INTERIOR: mostly original throughout. Central well stair with
corkscrew wrought-iron balusters; extensive boarded dado and lining with alternately plain and ribbed boards. 2 lecture theatres with original timber pews; original ventilation system for lecture theatres, laboratories and fume cupboards largely intact with fan in cupola, one original duct grille remaining in ground floor lecture theatre.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: low coped boundary wall with 3 pyramidal-capped gatepiers and modern metal railings at Small's Wynd elevation.
Robertson died in 1901 and the building was completed by Findlay. The foundation stone was laid by Andrew Carnegie in 1902 and the building opened by Lord Balfour of Burleigh in 1904. The building stands on the site of St John's Free Kirk which was converted to be the first
College Hall in 1883 and where University College Dundee's opening ceremony was held on 5 October that year.
Other nearby listed buildings