This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4697 / 56°28'10"N
Longitude: -2.9835 / 2°59'0"W
OS Eastings: 339505
OS Northings: 731271
OS Grid: NO395312
Mapcode National: GBR Z8D.PQ
Mapcode Global: WH7RB.4NK4
Entry Name: St David's High Kirk Dundee Including Railings, Kinghorne Road, Dundee
Listing Date: 15 August 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 361596
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25373
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Coldside
Traditional County: Angus
James Ireland of Ireland and MacLaren, dated 1877 (nave completed after 1881). Free mid-Victorian Gothic church, T-plan with pinnacle, 2-stage tower to south east, prominently sited on shoulder of Law Hill. Squared and snecked sandstone rubble with ashlar band courses and dressings. Pointed-arch hoodmoulds to openings. Red sandstone mullions.
PRINCIPAL (SOUTH) ELEVATION: Square-section tower to south east. Trefoil-headed, Gothic aedicule entrance with carved angel skews and ringed cross finial. Round window at first stage. Angle buttresses at second stage with 2-light plate-traceried window. Quatrefoil-pierced parapet with angle pinnacles. Large 4-light geometrical-traceried window to main gable over 4 single-light cusped windows with linking hoodmould. Dated quatrefoil, wrought-iron finial. Porch to south west with shouldered arched door. 2-storey stair tower behind with steep pyramidal roof. Stack to west gable.
Slate roof. Grid pattern coloured glass to windows. Modern stained glass to main gable lancets.
RAILINGS: Gothic wrought-iron railings to Kinghorne Road. Retaining wall to Kinghorne Road, rebuilt 1988, with cement coping. Gatepiers remodelled, now without gablet detail. Steel railings beside the tower, added1988, and are a similar Gothic design.
Place of worship in use as such. The church is on raised ground and is a prominent landmark in this part of Dundee. The church was previously called the United Free High Church and was renamed the St David's High Kirk Dundee in 2003, following the union of The High Kirk Dundee and St David's North Parish Church.
The church hall to the rear was built in 1936-7.
The statutory address was changed in 2014. Previously listed as "Kinghorne Road, The High Kirk Including Railings".
Other nearby listed buildings