This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0704 / 56°4'13"N
Longitude: -3.4622 / 3°27'43"W
OS Eastings: 309072
OS Northings: 687358
OS Grid: NT090873
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PG58
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.SPJ7
Entry Name: 5-7 (Odd Nos) Abbot Street
Listing Date: 25 March 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 362451
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25980
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
Wardrop and Reid, 1882-83 remodelling of circa 1840 building. 2-storey and basement and attic; 3-bay; rectangular-plan; classical/Jacobean office building with Dutch gable, pedimented dormers and Doric porches to principal (N) elevation. Sandstone ashlar with polished ashlar dressings to principal elevation; stugged and rubble side elevations; harled rear (S) elevation. Base course, band course between ground and 1st floors and eaves band and moulded cornice to principal and part of side elevations; balustraded parapet and raised quoins to principal elevation. Architraved openings throughout.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: projecting Dutch gabled entrance bay to right. Steps up to adjoining pair of entrances (that to right now a window); each with Doric porch (entablature supported on pair of columns with pilasters set back flanking entrances). 2-leaf panelled timber door. Ground floor window to central bay; canted 3-light window to left; pilastered mullions and flanking pilasters. Single window with frieze and cornice to each bay to 1st floor; apron to central one. Pilastered dormer with broken bed pediment to each bay above; thistle, shamrock and rose motifs to pediments. Ornate pilastered 3-stage Dutch gable with semicircular pediment to right bay. Angle piers surmounted by urns.
W ELEVATION: 2 gable-ended sections and slightly lower section to right; left gable is shaped and flanked by angle piers surmounted by urns. Central entrance to left section; late 20th century part-glazed door with rectangular fanlight; narrow window to right to ground and 1st floors. 6-light stair window to left of central section.
S ELEVATION: 2 gable-ended sections. 2 bays to left and one to right. Single window to each bay to basement, ground and 1st floors. Small basement window between 2nd and 3rd bays.
E ELEVATION: adjoins adjacent library via late 20th century enclosed walkway at 1st floor level.
Mainly 2-light timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof. Pair of flanking ashlar wallhead stacks incised like pilasters with friezes and moulded cornices to E and W elevations. Cans mostly missing.
INTERIOR: retains original staircase with decorative cast-iron balusters and coloured and leaded glass stair windows and coloured and leaded glass stair window.
It was remodelled as offices following its purchase by the Commercial Bank of Scotland in 1883. In 1905 it was purchased by the Carnegie Dunfermline Trust for use as its headquarters and in 1952 sold to Dunfermline Town Council.
Other nearby listed buildings