This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.0712 / 56°4'16"N
Longitude: -3.4614 / 3°27'40"W
OS Eastings: 309125
OS Northings: 687451
OS Grid: NT091874
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PGBG
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.SNXL
Entry Name: 81-85 (Odd Nos) High Street and 4 Guildhall Street, Former Guildhall
Listing Date: 12 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 362467
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25999
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
Archibald Elliot, 1805-11 with alterations. 3-storey and basement; 7-bay; L-shaped former guildhall. Symmetrical classical design with rusticated basement, V-jointed ground floor, pedimented entrance bay to principal (N) elevation and 4-tier steeple. Droved sandstone ashlar with polished ashlar dressings. Band courses above and below ground floor, at cill level to 1st floor and just below cill level to 2nd floor; moulded eaves band. Architraved windows with cornices to 1st floor.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: projecting entrance bay to centre; flanking pilasters terminate at Doric entablature surmounted by mutuled pediment above 1st floor; base of steeple above. Recessed central entrance with 2-leaf panelled timber door and rectangular fanlight; narrow flanking windows. Round-arched window with narrow round-arched flanking windows above. Regular fenestration to 3 bays to either side. Ground floor windows enlarged late 20th century to fill round-arched outer surrounds; central one to each side altered to entrance with round-arched fanlight and 2-leaf panelled timber door.
STEEPLE: rises above projecting pedimented entrance bay to centre of N elevation. Base with moulded cornice at eaves level. Square-plan lower stage with pilastered corners surmounted by urn-like finials; round-arched window to each side; moulded cornice. Square-plan 2nd stage with chamfered sides, base course, band course and moulded cornice; clock face with carved wreath-like hood-mould to each side. Circular-plan 3rd stage with base course and projecting entablature supported on 8 Ionic columns; basket-arched louvred window to alternate spaces (in line with sides of lower stages). Octagonal spire at apex with 3 band courses.
W (GUILDHALL STREET) ELEVATION: 7 bays. Round-arched Arcaded walkway to 5 bays to right of ground floor; access via steps set back to basement to that to left; entrance with narrow window to right set back to outer right; plain timber door; round-arched window to 3 bays to left. Blind round-arched panels to 2 bays to left of ground floor. Segmental-headed vennel entrance to 2nd bay from right to basement; double cast-iron gate with decorative finials. Round-arched louvred vent to right. Round-arched entrance with plain timber door to left; round-arched window to left. Pair of blind round-arched bays to outer left of basement. Regular fenestration to upper floors; one window to outer left of 1st floor and 2 windows to outer left of 2nd floor blocked.
6 and 12-pane timber sash and case windows to upper storeys; fixed multi-pane timber frames (and sashes) to ground floor. Grey slate piended roof. Stacks not visible.
INTERIOR: destroyed by fire in late 20th century and largely modernised. Half-turn staircase with decorative cast-iron balustrade to entrance hall.
An important early 19th century public building incorporating superimposition of classical orders/detailing. The tiered steeple is a local landmark. Although built as a guildhall and linen exchange, it has undergone various changes of use. Already by 1816/17 it had become the Spire Inn. It was converted to use as County Buildings (including the Sheriff's Court) in 1849-50 and acquired its present (1998) function as a job centre in 1993. Archibald Elliot was a prominent Edinburgh architect (with offices in London) in the early 19th century. He designed two of Edinburg''s most important Greek Revival buildings, Regent Bridge and County Hall.
Other nearby listed buildings