This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0716 / 56°4'17"N
Longitude: -3.4556 / 3°27'20"W
OS Eastings: 309485
OS Northings: 687485
OS Grid: NT094874
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PHN6
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.WNN9
Entry Name: East Port, Holy Trinity Episcopal Church
Listing Date: 12 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 362487
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26017
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
R Rowand Anderson, 1891 with hall added 1898 (also by Anderson). Church comprising nave and chancel orientated E/W with porch and low flat-roofed entrance hall projecting to W and W end of N side of nave and lower-height vestry structures to N of chancel; rectangular-plan hall adjoins at W end of S side of nave/entrance hall. Perpendicular design with flowing and panel tracery to windows, including large W window; substantial use of ogee, particularly in tracery of smaller windows. Coursed rockfaced sandstone with droved ashlar dressings. Base course throughout. Low corniced parapets with band courses at base to flat-roofed sections. Splayed reveals to openings; hood-moulds to main (Gothic-arched) openings. Traceried mullioned windows throughout. Coped gables with short gableted shoulders.
N (EAST PORT) ELEVATION: gabled porch with hood-moulded entrance to outer right of 2-bay nave; doorway with 2-leaf hinged panelled timber door to inner wall to right. Entrance hall with 3-light mullion window adjoins porch to right. Hood-moulded window to each bay of nave set back to left (that to left has 4 lights, that to right has 2); bays divided by stepped gableted buttress. Lower-height chancel set back to left of nave. Gable end of small vestry structure projects to right of it; hood-moulded rose window to gable. Flat-roofed structure adjoins to left; 2 small windows of single and 2 lights.
W (VIEWFIELD TERRACE) ELEVATION: large hood-moulded window set back to W end of nave; 2 main mullions; panel tracery in between. Stone cross finial at apex of gable above. Entrance hall projects across width of nave; 3 2-light windows to right. Church hall adjoins set forward to right, built on slightly lower ground level. Steps up to round-arched entrance to passageway to left; low roofline with gablet to left; panelled timber door. Hood-moulded 3-light window to gable end of hall to right; louvred arrowslit above.
S ELEVATION: nave of church largely obsucred by hall to left. 3 3-light windows to hall; gable end of later harled structure adjoins to right. Hood-moulded 4-light window set back to nave to right; buttress adjoining gable end of nave to right formerly attached to separate structure (since demolished). Band of 3 adjoining 2-light hood-moulded windows set back to lower-height chancel to right. Steps down to basement below.
E ELEVATION: 3-light hood-moulded window to gable end of chancel. Vestry structure adjoins to right; 2-light window to left; entrance with boarded timber door set back to right.
Mainly fixed leaded multi-pane windows; several (to nave/chancel) incorporating stained glass panels. Pitched roofs of grey slate with red ridge tiles. Hipped coped wallhead stack with band course to N side of chancel.
INTERIOR: Boarded pointed roof to nave and chancel. Red and black tiled floor to entrance hall and open areas of chancel and nave. Gothic panelled dado and choir pews with crocket finials to chancel. Plain bench pews to nave. Octagonal timber pulpit with Gothic carving. Stained glass E window depicts Ascension (1904). Window by William Wilson (1963) also to chancel. Stained glass windows in nave are one of Ascension/Supper at Emmaus by C E Kempe (1906), one by James Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd (1950) and two windows of saints/prophets (also circa 1950). Carved, gilded and painted reredos of 1904 designed by Rowand Anderson and executed by Whyttock and Reid; 2 angels to centre panel painted by James Powell & Sons. Organ of 1904 by C and F Hamilton; richly carved case incorporating trumpeting angels designed by Rowand Anderson. Carved octagonal sandstone font on square base.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Fairly simple late Gothic design with intricate traceried W window and some fine internal fittings. Brass eagle lectern of 1891 by Jones and Willis.
Other nearby listed buildings