This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0711 / 56°4'15"N
Longitude: -3.4549 / 3°27'17"W
OS Eastings: 309527
OS Northings: 687427
OS Grid: NT095874
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PHSS
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.WNZP
Entry Name: Viewfield Terrace, 3-8 (Inclusive Nos) Viewfield House
Listing Date: 1 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 362489
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26019
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
Early 18th century; altered early 19th century and later and converted to flats 1982-83. 3-storey and attic; 3-bay; rectangular-plan; large detached house (now flats). Classical design with slightly advanced pedimented entrance bay with Palladian windows to upper floors. Sandstone ashlar (droved except to principal/N elevation) with heavily rockfaced basement. Base course to basement and ground floor; 1st floor cill course; band course between 1st and 2nd floors except to rear (S) elevation; eaves cornice.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: steps up to entrance to projecting central bay; architrave recessed within round-arched opening incorporating fanlight; 9-panel timber door; flanking columns with acanthus leaves to capitals support entablature. V-jointed masonry to ground floor to either side; window to each of flanking bays to each floor except basement; those to 1st floor are architraved with consoled cornices. Venetian window above entrance; flat lintel recessed within round-arched opening; balustrade below cill. Flat-headed Venetian window to centre of 2nd floor. Central entrance to basement; 6-panel timber door with inserted narrow flanking windows; 2 windows to right and one to left.
S ELEVATION:19th century ashlar vestibule with moulded cornice projects to right of centre to basement and ground floor; large stair window recessed within round-arched surround; architraved entrance to left return; inserted entrance to right return; both with late 20th century timber doors with rectangular fanlights. 4 regularly-fenestrated bays set back to main block; window to each bay to each floor above and to either side of vestibule.
E ELEVATION: 2 lean-to additions to basement; window set back to centre. 3 regularly fenestrated bays above; window to each bay to each floor (those to outer right are blocked).
W ELEVATION: entrance with late 20th century timber door to left of basement; window to right. 3 regularly-fenestrated bays (grouped 2-1) above; window to each bay to each floor (those to outer left and outer right window to 2nd floor are blocked).
Mainly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piended platform roof. Pair of corniced wallhead stacks to either side (E and W); round cans.
INTERIOR: dog-leg staircase with cast iron balustrade (probably of earlier 19th century date) rises from vestibule to rear of building; octagonal lantern at apex. Entrance lobby at front of building with plaster fan vaulting rising to flat oval ceiling and decorated with Adamesque plasterwork. Internal layout largely dating from conversion to flats. Some early 20th century plasterwork, including fake panelling and Adamesque details, and timber dado to main room of ground floor flat at No 3. Similar details to stairwell.
B-Group with 'East Port, Pair of Gatepiers to W of Carnegie Hall'. A substantial and finely detailed large former villa, which has been used for a variety of purposes. It was built for James Blackwood, Provost of Dunfermline in around 1808. In 1915 it was purchased jointly as offices by 3 branches of the Carnegie Trust. From 1920-65 it was used as an art and craft school, under the ownership Of the Carnegie Dunfermline Trust.
Other nearby listed buildings